Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks, I have never done a prime rib on my big green egg, can anyone tell me the best procedure? thanks Grillin Jimbo

Comments

• Grillin Jimbo,
    this may not be the best procedure, there are a lot of great ways to do them. . .but here is a link to how i do mine, with great results. ..[p]

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2004/messages/158216.htm[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Grillin Jimbo,
    Max's method will definitely give you fantastic results. That boy might wear funny pants, but he can cook![p]Just to throw out another possibility. I have a favorite beef rub, but lots of coarse ground black pepper, and a generous dose of coarse kosher salt is a good treatment too. It you are comfortable with cooking direct, the best rib roasts I have had were done direct over the coals. I get the fire hotter on one side by stacking the coals in the back. Then over a good hot fire, 600+, sear all sides of the roast to build up a good crust. During the searing of the last side, close your vents to a crack. After the last side is seared, move the roast to the front (not over the hottest coals), and cook until it is done to your liking (remembering that the temp will rise during the rest). I usually pull at 125 or 130 tops. If you like it rarer, then 115. Your roasting temp is not super critical, as long as the roast is not continuing to sear. It usually works its way down to 350-375 or so during the roast.[p]So lots of ways to go. For me, the crust on a beautiful piece of beef is where the flavor is, and indirect just doesn't give me that crust. When I slice it up, the flavors in the crust get mixed all up in the juice. Yowza.[p]Let us know what you end up doing, and happy eating!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    man, did you see the pics of the one pigasso did.. . must have put a whole jar of cow lick on that roast. .. don't know why i havent' done a cowlick one yet. .. gotta try it. .. [p]hope you've gotten all the xmas orders out the door and you can kick back a little for the next couple of days... [p]happy wednesday[p]max

• Nature Boy
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Unfortunately, I have just not had the luxury of being able to keep up with the forum like I used to :<(
    I just scrolled down looking for a camera icon next to Pigasso, but could not find one. When was that?[p]Yep. All the orders are out, but aint a whole bunch of kicking back yet. I am working toward that goal though, and some kickback time is on the horizon![p]Happy wednesday back toya. When the twins get home from school this afternoon, they have a week and a half off. Here is to enjoying the last quiet day in the house for a while.[p]See ya on New Years.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy and Max, Thanks for the info. Grandma is coming for Christmas and she wants beef, so i thought I would impress her. Merry Christmas! Jimbo

• Nature Boy,
    here is a link to pigasso's post with that cowlick covered prime rib...

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/166521.shtml[/ul]
  • wfd146
    wfd146 Posts: 36
    Nature Boy,[p]My fiance is keeping you busy, she told me about the girls in her office keep having her buy some for their men. She can't believe how fast you ship the stuff up here to Delaware. [p]Mike

• Nature Boy
    Thanks Mike. So, I guess this means you already know about your present?
    hee. I thought she was gonna make you wait.
    Happy Holidays!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • wfd146
    wfd146 Posts: 36
    Nature Boy,[p]Let's say, I may have come across a box that smelled very good! Not that I was snooping or anything..ha![p]

• Nature Boy,[p]Do you use a drip pan, or, if not, how do you cope with the rendering fat? [p]Thanks, [p]Clausen

• Nature Boy
    Howdy Clausen!
    The rendering fat does not seem to be a problem. I guess it's cuz the roasting is done over a spot where there is very few coals burning. And I usually trim down the fat cap a good bit. A real light fat-smoke flavor is there, and I think it adds a little edge. But it is not a strong sooty smoke (in which case I pull the meat off til it clears up).[p]Still, though, this weekend I am thinking of finishing up indirect. Searing the roasts on one egg, then moving to another that I have set up at 350-375 with a roasting pan and a v-rack. Finish them up in there, and that way I still get the crust, but have some juice for gravy. Making QBabe's goat cheese mashed taters, and ya gotta have gravy wit dat![p]Cheers to you!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com