Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2" Steaks from Last Night

Options
Eggvis
Eggvis Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, they were cut around 1 3/4", but they were eggcellent fillets none the less. I got the egg up to 650-700 degrees....I never had any flare ups and didn't really char the outside as I was hoping to. I used a coffee/Cow Lick combo rub that came out unbelievable. I did dwell them for a few minutes around 400+ degrees and they came out perfect. But again, I wish to achieve Pittsburgh style if possible. BTW: I have a large egg/ filled large lump up to top of fire ring...any suggestions on how to achieve a burnt crust w/out cooking the center past MR?

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Eggvis,[p]650 - 700 just ain't gonna do it. You need lava, and you don't get that until about 800. It's a huge difference, believe it or not. [p]Based on your measurement, I would say you'd do 90-105 seconds of a sear, rest 20 minutes and then dwell at 400 for about 4 minutes. [p]It's hard to fathom until you get a true sear, but the key's the big heat. For big heat it's more fuel and maximum air. If you loaded the lump up to the top of the firebox, that should have been fine. [p]I know when I sear, I start the fire with my mapp torch in three or four places so it's more of a wildfire and spreads and gets hot a little quicker. [p]HTH
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Eggvis,
    Did you leave the lid open and have the bottom vent wide open? That's how I do it. I wait till there is a visible flame in the lump before I put the steaks on the grill. Then there will be lots of flare ups. Let it sear on one side for 90-120 seconds, then flip for another 90-120. That will give you a real nice crust. If you have the time and patience do it the Trex way, remove the steaks and let rest for 20 minutes. Meanwhile close the lid on the egg and the bottom vent so the dome temo drops to 350. Then dwell to your preference.[p]I also have a small BGE, It's much easier and quicker to attain the lava temps on the small egg, I imagine the mini is better.

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]I just got my small this weekend, and I am making ribeyes and lamb chops on thursday on it and CAN NOT WAIT!! They are gonna be awesome. [p]
  • Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p] I will put more lump in next time for sure...I've had it over 750 before (accident, don't ask) just couldn't achieve it last night. The pleasure of the egg is just as everyone says...even if it doesn't come out perfect, it's better than anything you can achieve on any other grill! Thanks for the suggestions all! Can't wait to meet you at next years Eggtoberfest in ATL!![p]Paul

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Eggvis,
    if you get a castiron grate from bge, it has 2 sides. one is pointed and the other has large flats. searing on the flat side will give more of a burnt crust, and with the cast iron heat transfer you will not have to go over 750 for the sear unless you want to.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    The small is very versitile. You'll get lava temps for searing so much faster than the large and use less fuel. I've even finished a pork butt on the small for the last 8 hours while cooking a turkey on the large. I suppose you could do the whole cook there if wanted, but you'd need to add lump at some point.

• tenntom
    Options
    Eggvis,
    Fired up the mini a couple of nites ago, came inside and went back out to check, the temp gauge was on 0 --it had pegged....YOu talk about sear!!!!

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Eggvis, I cut a piece of stainless expando to fit at the top of the fire box, this grate is now only about 1/2" from the coals. Works great for searing.
    86d6a753.jpg[p]1d7febaa.jpg[p]After searing, I leave this grate in place, as it is glowing orange, and set the regular grate back in to finish the steaks.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Eggvis,
    In a large I load up the lump mix the coals when lit and wait for the thermometer to be pegged. Has to be pegged to get the char effect. I cook them three minutes each side with lid closed, then shut all air for 3-4 minutes. Let steaks rest on counter for about five minutes before serving. Never over done, sometime someone needs more heat.
    I'm planning on trying the Trex method.