Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fried turkey question

DawgtiredDawgtired Posts: 216
edited 9:26AM in EggHead Forum
Cooking two birds..one egged and one fried. For some reason my fryer is putting out a lot of smoot. It's probably eight or nine years old and has never done this before. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.
·

Comments

• FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    not enough or too much air mixing,,, check the vent on the regulator and the burner orfice.
    ·
  • I'm not getting a blue flame either. Would that be indicative of too much air or not enough?
    ·
    could be either but most of the time it's not enough. some regulators have a screen on the vent that can get clogged but do not adjust the pressure without a meter. Just look around for a nest or partial clog maybe a little piece of rust or something.
    ·
  • I turned it upside down and banged on it a few times. A lot of rust fell out.
    ·
  • Should have mentioned that didn't seem to help
    ·
    If everything is clean you may have a bad regulator. The one off a gas grill will work as long as they are both propane. I'm sure you checked your gas level :whistle: :laugh:
    ·
  • jeffinsgfjeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Most likely a spider web, which won't come out with banging. Use a pipe cleaner to ream it out, and see if you don't withdraw some spider web.

They love seldom used gas appliances.
    ·