Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill cleaning question::::

greenfan
greenfan Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a wire brush, but my grate needs to be deep cleaned. I saw that Easy=Off made a grill cleaner, has anyone ever used it? Any other suggestions? I can get the loose stuff, but I have a lot of baked on crud that needs to be cleaned off.
Thanks.
And no, I don't have a turkey question :P

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Could always just hi temp cook it off...I have heard others mention a "dawn" product...something like power dissolver, but don't quote me on it..never used it personally, but others should chime in...there was someone who posted they put cooking grids in a trash can lid with this product...try doing a search from the forum pull down, you should find the answer..
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Leave it in the egg and do a cleaning burn. 650 for 3-4 hours will work. Cleans the inside of the egg too.
  • That baked on crud is a badge of honor. I have never cleaned my grill in the three years of ownership. Once in awhile I'll take a grill brush and scraper to it to remove pieces of meat but that is it. Once it warms up in the egg during the preheat, it is sterile and ready for more abuse. A side benefit is mine has never showed any rust...I assume it looks brand new if I ever did try to clean it but I don't.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    My sentiments exactly...
  • Simple Green also makes a grill cleaner. It might be a bit more green than Easy Off. I have not used it on my BGE because I just do a 20 - 30 high temp burn off periodically. The high temp carbonizes everything so it can be scraped off easily. As long as there are no uncarbonized chunks of meat sticking to the grill, you should be okay safety wise.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Guessing your talking the CI grid, if so like others have said high temp burn but then you'll need to season it again. I just wire brush it when it warms up and it's good to go.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I let my egg burn it off occasionally. Tim
  • Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I have let it burn for a while after taking food off, but not a high-temp burn. Probably should do that. But just to be clear I'm not talking about non-carbonised food. Just curious about the chemical cleaners.
    Thanks guys.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    LOL Wess,
    That was actually my 5th picture submitted here along with my suggestion 6 years ago after finally buying a digital camera! Dawn really does work well!
    IMG_00491.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I go along with you and WessB, I did take mine to a self car wash and gave them a good high pressure blasting but they were still black but as clean as they are going to be.

Happy T'Day,
    Bordello
  • I agree with the burn-off approach. My XL is about a year and a half old and the CI grids have never been cleaned except for the brush. Before getting the BGE, I had a gasser for 12 years that had CI grids. When brand new I tried to clean them, felt bad letting my new grids get dirty. All I did was make a mess. After that I never cleaned them except for burning them off and using the brush. Seems to work.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • I too like all the crud but do take everything out and vacuum the inside of all the loose dust. Seems To make it very easy to maintain temp as it improves the airflow. Clean grates with high temp burn and wire brush
  • Should have also added in my post that I occasionally do high temp burns with the grill in. It burns everything off it and looks new.
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    RRP wrote:
    LOL Wess,
    That was actually my 5th picture submitted here along with my suggestion 6 years ago after finally buying a digital camera! Dawn really does work well!
    IMG_00491.jpg

I used to be able to find the Dawn Power Dissolver at Wegman's - but not any more. Where do you get it?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    While I haven't purchased any DAWN for a while it has/had always been readily available at Wally World. I do like it and for reasons I won't explain here now I use many cheaper wire grills to lay on top of my BGE grills and don't bother cleaning them until I have at least 12 "dirty ones". DAWN works!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.