Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Bone In Leg of Lamb

Eggsellent
Eggsellent Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My sister is making a 9lb bone-in Leg of Lamb for Christmas. My father-in-law has a GREAT leg of lamb recipe - but he's always made it in the oven. I'll list the recipe below, but was wondering if any of you experts out there had suggestions on how to convert this to the egg? Also, would you change/add any ingredients, temps, methods, etc. I'm sure we need the v-rack and the drip pan, but how about direct or in-direct?? Help! Or if you have any other recipes for bone-in leg of lamb PLEASE share...[p]Floyd's Curried Leg of Lamb
Ingredients:
1 approx. 5 lb. leg of lamb
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon curry powder
1 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 onions, finely chopped
½ cup dry vermouth
1/8 cup water (add water last, not too much)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Place lamb on rack in roasting dish (if you add water to the bottom of the pan – clean up will go a lot smoother and it really cuts down on smoke, etc.).
Sprinkle lamb with lemon juice
Mix garlic, curry, salt and pepper with water to make a paste
Spread the paste over the lamb
Cook for 30 minutes
Remove the lamb from the oven and slowly pour vermouth over the top so as not to disturb onion.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, return lamb and cook until meat thermometer reads 150 degrees for medium or for 15 minutes per pound for medium.
Let lamb sit for 10 minutes prior to slicing.[p]

Comments

• Eggsellent,[p]
    If you need the drip pan and the vrack..then you are by definition....cooking indirect.[p]BTW, send me pictures of you rubbing the leg with that paste..call me silly...but that does something for me.[p]
    StumpBaby

• StumpBaby,
    Right! I always think plate setter determines direct vs. indirect for some reason.[p]As for the pictures - scary! (but it did make me giggle).

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    StumpBaby,[p]I should be mad stump, but it does something for me too.[p]Of course, I always make extra so she can rub herself down too...[p](ducks for cover)
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Eggsellent,[p]My philosophy is to treat any recipe conversion to the egg the same as you would the corresponding “conventional” cooking device. Since your FIL makes his in the oven, mimic an oven with the egg. This means cooking indirect. Exposed to direct flame/coals would be more like roasting/broiling, IMO.[p]I’d invert the platesetter and use a drip pan, probably with a bit of water (because that's exactly what the recipe calls for). Whether to use a v-rack or not – I’m not sure it really matters. Personally, I think I’d opt NOT to use one. Just one more thing to clean up! LOL

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Eggsellent,
    Man, when you get to be my age a little oil rub is. . . .[p]I'd still use the platesetter along with the roasting pan and rack. That should keep everything from burning too bad on the bottom of the pan. Or, put your pan on top of the inverted platesetter and the leg on the grid. I've don lamb a few times and prefer using just lump, no other wood added.

• Mark Backer,[p]I have no explanation...other than I'm a Stump. That always seems to work though..for some reason...[p]Ahh..the life of a Stump.[p]StumpBaby
  • Eggsellent,that sounds goood... you mention pouring vermouth...so as not to disturb the onion ? Was the onion left out of the directions? I want to try this... thanks

• tn slagamater,ooops, I see it now

• Mark Backer
    tn slagamater,[p]what's a slagamater anyway?
  • tn slagamater,[p]Hmmm...maybe that's why all my onions are disturbed.[p]StumpBaby
  • tn slagamater,
    Whoops - I listed onion in the ingredients, but forgot to mention it goes in with the other paste ingredients. Thanks!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Eggsellent,
    i do mine direct on a raised grill,trex style.with that paste though, iwould do it inderect, but would still raise the grill so that the meat was higher in the dome and away from the drip pan.boneless, i would cook at 350, with the bone in i think i would lower the temp to 325 for a more uniform cook near the bone.i like lamb med/rare and take it off the grill at 122, 150 sounds too high as if you take it off at 135 it will probably rise close to that while resting, but im not sure where people take it off for medium

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tn slagamater,I think I am keeping that a secret til djm5x9 reveals the meaning of 5x9...

• Mark Backer
    tn slagamater,[p]I'm guessing his is five days a week times nine hours a day. Now what's yours?[p]LOL
  • Mark Backer,I am guessing that is wrong.Who could go 2 STRAIGHT days without the Egg??? I think maybe he got his first job at 45 years of age ; maybe, ate his first egged food at 45 years ; maybe bought his first egg at 45 ; All I know for sure is he is not talking.... despite numerous opportunities and much importuning that he do so...