Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What time does the bird hit the grid?

Options
Blazer
Blazer Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Large BGE... plate setter legs up... drip pan (containing liquid) on plate setter.. grid on the plate setter legs... 22 LB turkey on grid over the drip pan... butter and seasoning on bird with a few aromatics in the cavity (onion, lemon, garlic, apple)... dome temp will be at 350 degrees and controlled by a Digi-QII...

I'll be cooking to the correct temp, but need to know what time to start the bird for serving at 1PM. I've read on the forum about cooking times ranging from 10 to 20 minutes per pound, a window of 3.7 to 7.4 hours. I cooked a smaller one like this last year. It was great, but it cooked quickly, and I did not note the time.

1) What's your guess o the cooking time?

2) If done too early, how long will it stay hot wrapped in foil and in a small ice chest?

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My $.02 would be to go 15 minutes per lb, so if my cipherin and figurin is correct that is 5.5 hours.

Just a WAG...but I would think you could keep it warm well wrapped in a cooler for a couple of hours.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I agree w/ Smokey :)
    Don't sweat it, remember, this is supposed to be fun! :lol:
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I'd put the bird on no later than about 6:30 Looking to finish about 12:00 giving you an hour to make the gravy, and relax a little before eating.
  • KMagnus
    KMagnus Posts: 114
    Options
    First off - I cooked a 19 lb turkey on my large last weekend - with similar setup - and it was a tight fit. Do a dry run and figure out the best way to get your 22 lb bird comfortably in there comfortably.

As for time, I brined mine - so unsure how or if that compares with stuffing the cavity with aromatics. That said, my dome temp ranged between 335-350 the entire cook and it finished in about 4.5 hours. Works out to a little less than 14.5 minutes per pound. I would start coals by 6:15 and shoot to have it on the grid between 6:45 or 7:00. You still want it to rest between 15-30 minutes after you pull it and before you carve it.

I also did a smaller one a couple of weeks prior and had to pull it several hours before serving time. I double-wrapped in foil, then double wrapped in towels and layered towels under and over inside the cooler. 3 hours later it was still very warm.

I have no doubt from your description - you'll be happy with the results.

Good luck!

-Ken