Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs and Sweet Potatoes!

Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
05_26_0014_58_01.jpg
<p />It's a rainy Friday afternoon in Peoria... the ribs have been on the BGE since about 12:30pm - the picture was taken at 2:30pm. The BGE is cooking at about 225-250 degrees. The ribs were covered with mustard, sea salt and ground pepper. I added a little water to the drip pan. At about 5:15, I'll remove the drip pan and the fire bricks and let them finish on directly over the coals. [p]Dr. Chicken, the sweet potatoes (wrapped in foil with butter) are about ready to go on. Dinner is at 6pm.
[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]

Comments

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Gfw,
    Why wrap the potatoes in foil? We love the smoked flavor you get just rubbing on a little butter and throwing them on the grill.[p]TR

• Gfw
    RibChoice3.jpg
    <p />AbqEgg'r, we do it mostly because the butter just soaks into the potato. I believe Tim M originally posted the method and we have used it many times – they always turn out great. In fact, we also do it with white potatoes and have the same great results. The picture is from a previous BBQ.[p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Gfw,[p]It's personal taste for sure. I like them (and sweet potatoes) wrapped to keep out the smoke and so they simmer in the butter. I did try them without foil - just wasn't for me though.[p]Tim
  • Gfw
    05_26_0017_16_01.jpg
    <p />It is now 5:15 and I removed the bottom firebricks and the drip pan. In looking at the picture, I also just noticed that I must have left the sweet potatoes on the floor of the deck. Gotta go... more results after dinner.[p]Best wishes for a great weekend to each of you and to your families![p]
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Gfw,
    That looks awesome I am inspired. Ribs Tomorrow.[p]Have a great weekend

• Gfw
    kyle, just remember a very important point...[p]The best ribs that you will ever have are the ones that you just made. The VERY best ribs that you have ever had are the ones that you will make next.[p]The ones tonight were the BEST! [p]Gfw

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Tim M,
    Have to admit I haven't done it with sweet potatoes. I was actually thinking of regular baking potatoes. We have a BBQ place here that smokes them, then stuffs them with brisket or other meat and BBQ sauce. They are really good, and of course now we make our own which are even better.[p]TR

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Gfw,
    In addition to the butter (I assume you use lots of it), try adding a bunch of brown sugar as well. Now you're talkin about good.
    JimW

• Gfw
    JimW, you and C~W... ext time we'll definately give it a try![p]