Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Top is not closing properly

Options
XLGrEGGer
XLGrEGGer Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My XL EGG is not matching up perfectly. The top is not aligning with the base, therefore not closing tight. Any thoughts? I really don't want to dis-assemble and start over. Any adjustmentsI can make to get this top to close the right way. I pretty sure I installed it the correct way. I have put together 2 EGGS so far and they have worked. So what am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
G's BQ

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    G,

I had a similar issue a few years ago. Check to make sure your bands are tight against the lip of the dome and base.

Not good enough
    101_2613640x480.jpg

Might take a little coaxing to keep them tight - as you tighten the bolt at the back the band may want to slip
    101_2616640x480-1.jpg

May have to get creative to keep them tight all the way around
    101_2462640x480.jpg
  • stevesails
    Options
    I had a problem yesterday, It was tough to open, turned out one of the bolts that is to be a little loose for it to pivot on was tight, broke it loose and everything fits great.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    Another possibility is that the spring/hinge mount on the side of the egg (top ring) may have slipped and need to be tightened. My dealer spent some time on this area during assembly.