Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

kneading bread

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 780
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i know kneading by hand is best – well, I think it is - - but here is the question – if kneading by machine – which of the following is the best machine to use - the Zojirushi bread maker - or the KitchenAid kneading hooks

thanks, mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Don't have a bread machine, too lazy to knead by hand, so always use the KA...
    Kent Madison MS
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I have an old KA and am happy with it, but am making some hand kneaded bread using the Peter Reinhart, stretching technique. There is a lot of satisfaction out of those recipe. It takes a little time, but not much work.

The new KA's that have the spiral hook instead of the C shaped hook is better.
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 39
    Options
    I use my KA for initial kneading. I process the dough on the first speed (lowest) for four minutes, let it rest for about 5 minutes, covered, then process 5 minutes on the second speed. During proofing, I incorporate a folding method that helps the dough hold its shape.

I'm curious ... what kind of bread are you making?
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    thanks for your response - i am considering an adventure in "old world bread' making

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I've tried all three. I usually gravitate to my stand mixer using the dough hook. I usually start at the lowest speed to combine the ingredients. Once I have a dough ball on the hook, I turn the speed up a couple of notches and let it knead for 6-8 minutes. Works great.

I've gotten good results with the bread machine too, but the mixer does the job much faster. I'm generally too lazy to knead by hand.

Good luck,

-John
  • kilts
    kilts Posts: 30
    Options
    Mr Toad

I would recommend a no Knead method .
    http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/
    Have a look at the books on this web sight .
    The bread is very easy to make with a minimum of effort.
    The quality is as good as the ingredients you use.
    The dough is made with a little higher hydration .
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    Some time ago King Arthur flour tested all 3 methods.They concluded that the bread machine was best. I have been using the bread machine for mixing,kneading and the first rise. I am quite pleased with it. The best thing about it is there is minimal cleanup....tom
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 39
    Options
    There are a ton of resources about bread baking but I generally fall back on two or three of my favorites. The Breadbaker's Apprentice by Reinhart is my first choice for most breads. My wife was good enough to get me The Taste of Bread which is an in-depth treatise on commercial bread baking. It is good if you are interested in the chemistry and science of bread but not so hot for everyday baking. One of my favorites is Practical Baking which is a commercial bakery book but has formulas scaled to home use. That one can be found in used book stores and on-line fairly cheap.

I bake by weight, not by volume so it is important to know how to use baker's percentage.

Another good resource is a website www.thefreshloaf.com. It is a good community of bakers, both home and professional who share ideas, recipes and techniques.

Obviously, I love to bake. The only downside is the same as cooking on the BGE ... everyone wants you to bring the thing that take the longest to prepare!