Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gfw\'s Black Bean BBQ Chili

Tractor
Tractor Posts: 288
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been making this chili since I first got my Egg back in 2000. It's SUPER! Some of you have been looking for the recipe. I think Gfw's recipe site has been retired. Hope he makes his way by sometime to see my THANKS for sharing the recipe years ago!

Photos are from a week ago when I made the recipe X4! Recipe follows.

chili1.jpg

chili2.jpg

Gfw's Black Bean BBQ Chili (11-17-2000)

12/20/1999 - Thanks to ChefRD and Smokin Bob for their chili recipes. I used parts of both.

INGREDIENTS:

2 lb sirloin steak. I sliced it thin like beef jerky and then re-sliced - so that each piece is appoximately 3/4" x 1/8" x 1/8"

1 Red Bell Pepper

2/3 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup chili powder

1 tbsp chopped jalapeno chilies (2 tbsp for Spicy)

3 tbsp brown sugar

2 tsp cinnamon

1-1/2 tsp cumin

1 tsp minced garlic

1 tsp ground oregano leaves

1 tsp salt

1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp black pepper (1 tsp for Spicy)

1/2 tsp white pepper (1 tsp for Spicy)

1/4 tsp red pepper (1/2 tsp for Spicy)

(2)28oz can of Regular Crushed Tomatoes

(1)4oz can of green chilies, not drained

(1)12oz bottle/can of beer (as the chili simmered I added 1 1/2 more cans)

(2)15oz cans of Black Beans, drained

METHOD:

Brown the meat with the onions and garlic in a Dutch oven on the stove, stirring often to keep the onions and gralic from burning. If it starts to stick, add more oil. Add the rest of the ingredients until well mixed.

I put the pot in the egg at 325 degrees sitting comfortably on 2 fire bricks. After 3 hours of simmering at the 300-350 mark, I removed it from the egg. It also needs time to rest!

Comments