Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild hog eradication

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Just found this while surfing the net. Pretty cool video. I would love to have picked up a couple of these to put on the egg. Any wild hog cookers out there? After reading all these comments below the video it seems they are no good after they get above 80 pounds or so. Enjoy the video!

http://www.texashuntfish.com/app/videos/8958/Helicopter-Wild-Hog-Eradication-in-Texas

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Rolling Egg,

Do you think they just leave the carcasses out there? Man there was a lot of them. Haven't heard of them in Canada.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rolling Egg
    Options
    I read all the messages they were putting at the bottom of the video and there was one guy that said he was the pilot. He said they had teamed up with someone who was trying to go out after the shooting and round them all up to process and give away. There were some ugly comments from some that were fussing about the waste of leaving them but there was a strong pressence of farmers commenting also about how much damage the hogs are doing to their farm land and crops.
  • field hand
    Options
    Wild hogs are a big problem here in Missouri, especially the Ozarks area. Last I heard, you could kill as many as you want year round.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Rolling Egg,

Please don't misunderstand. I am no tree-hugger. I was just wondering if they became fertilizer.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rolling Egg
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: I was wondering if I would piss anyone off by posting it. :lol:
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    Ya know, I'm not no tree hugger either but the first thing that came to mind the first time I watched that video was, "I wonder if they just leave em laying? What a waste." I guess any sportsman would know that you really shouldn't kill what you can't consume or feed someone else. Then I read the comments. I guess sometimes you got to do what you got to do. It seems they were doing tons of damage to their farms.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I guess ferals are a problem no matter what the species is if the population gets out of whack. One of my wife's former students who lives in AZ says that feral cats are a major problem near Phoenix where he lives and he happens to be a cat lover!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I loved watching the video. I also, read most of the comments. Where I was from in Wisconsin when a pig farmer had a dead pig (one weighing 500+ pounds) you dug a deep hole and carefully roll the pig in it (I say carefully because the pig is usually bloated and if it busted open there would be a stench no one could handle)and cover it up. Otherwise there would be a lot of smelling to do to smell all that smell up. :lol:

I have seen reports on the news in Nashville, Tennessee of wild hogs roaming around.
  • ranger ray
    Options
    some folks i know..... capture them alive( using pit bulls) .... they put the feral hogs in a small pen( so they get weak and lose their muscle tone).. and feed 'em corn, food scraps etc... for a couple a months and then slaughter them.... takes out the wild flavor of the meat.... and the bonfires/beer and fun make it worth the effort for a nice big pile of nearly free pork...