Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck Breast

Grillin&Chillin
Grillin&Chillin Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a receipe for Duck Breast that doesn't involve hours of prep time. I would like to do some tonight.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Remove the fat, Score the skin, Salt, pepper and roast to medium rare. Unlike Chicken duck doesn't have the buggies....
  • 1) Slice thin strips across the grain, then use in ABT's.
    2) cut breasts into small pieces and use in place of grd beef in a good chili recipe.
    3) cut into cubes (6 from a mallard breast), soak in water in frig for 1.5 hr. Drain, add a can of pineapple chunks and juice and leave in frig another 1.5 hr. Wrap each piece in 1/3 strip bacon, skewer with a pineapple chunk on each side of duck meat. Cook to medium rare. Excellent results!

Let us know what you do and how it turns out ( pics).
  • Oh man, that sounds good!

You might consider a little sauce to go with that. Fruit is classic with duck.
    Per serving I would heat in a sauce pan at least 1/2 cup port wine, a tablespoon of jam or jelly, what ever your favorite is strawberry, raspberry, grape it's up to you, 1/2 teaspoon butter, and some cut up fresh fruit. Again any kind you like, you can either match the fruit to the jam/jelly flavor or build on it with different fruits. You might add a little Dijon mustard to give it a little kick or a little hot sauce if that is what you like. Heat until the jam/jelly is melted and sauce is hot, you do not need to cook very long but can simmer if it needs a little thickening and serve over the duck or on the side.

I have done this with strawberry jam and fresh strawberries and with raspberry jam and red seedless grapes cut in half for the fruit. I add the grapes toward the end so they retained some shape and didn't get to soft and served it over veal chops but it will go with duck just as well. Keep it simple and it will be great.

Gator
  • Grillin&Chillin,

Smoked duck breast is amazing too. Serve with mango chutney.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Last duck I made I used an apple sauce..

Reduce 1.5 cups of Apple Juice, 2/3 cups of Sugar, and 1/4 cup of thinly sliced and chopped Apple.

Reduce till the mixture is about 3/4 cups.
    Add 1.5 cups of duck or chicken stock and reduce 10 minutes on medium high heat.

mix 2 tbls of cornstarch or arrowroot and 2 tbls of water. Add this to the reduced mixture to thicken.

Add 1/2 cup of Calvados or Apple Brandy and reduce 10 more minutes.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This is one of my favorites and works equally as well w/breasts, bone or boneless.

Duck, Thighs, Smoked, Lacquered, Chinese, Richard Fl

DUCKTHIGHSSERVED.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    8 Duck, Thighs
    Marinade:
    1 Cup Soy Sauce
    2 Tbs Dry Sherry
    2 Tbs Turbindo Suigar
    3 Tbs Honey
    2-3 Tbs Hoisin Sauce
    2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 Tbs Sesame Oil
    1 Tsp Chinese 5-Spice Powder
    1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper.
    Smoke: (In A Foil Pouch)
    1 Tbs Celestial Seasonings, Orange Spice, Black Tea
    1 Tbs Oolong Tea
    1 Tbs Green Tea
    Seasoning Salt to Serve
    2-3 Tbs Seczhuan Pepper Corns
    2-3 Tbs Sea Salt

Procedure:
    1 Took Jaccard Meat tenderizer machine and poked each thigh 2-3 times. Mixed marinade together and placed the thighs in a gallon Zip-loc bag and into the refrigerator for 2 days. Rotating every now and then.
    Cook:
    1 Set small BGE up indirect, 250-275°F with some mahogany chips and the aluminum pouch of tea, pierced slightly to allow the smoke out. Basted with the marinade after about an hour. Pulled after 1 1/2 hours.
    To serve:
    1 Take the schezuan peppercorns and salt and grind in a morter & pestle or a spice grinder. Dip pieces of duck in the seasoning salt.
    Side Dish:
    1 Took the left over marinade, and heated to reduce in volume a little, added equal parts honey and horseradish,about 2 Ozs each, some butter and cooked, yellow squash, zuccinni, spanish onion. sliced, chinese eggplant, ( the thin white-purpleish ones), Served over basmati rice

Servings: 4

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/04/13
  • The risk is not as high, but duck is not immune to contamination by salmonella or other bacteria.

I don't know how to post a link. Maybe this will show up?

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Duck_&_Goose_from_Farm_to_Table/index.asp

Best,
    Craven
  • Thanks for the help Richard!