Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's up, Duck?

EmandM'sDad
EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend just called me to ask how she should cook a duck on the egg. But since I've never done one myself, I figured I'd ask. Anybody got a technique that they really like?
TIA,
Mike

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    theres a couple schools of thought, think of it more like chicken thighs. do you like those cooked low and slow or hotter and faster. i like the thighs cooked low and slow and like the dryer product so this is how i cook duck. djm5x9 used to post his technique back around 10 years ago so its probably not in the archives, richard probably has his writteup. you need a good tangy sauce to compliment duck
    heres how i cook them

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=237371&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks, I was thinking low and slow over a drip pan on a vertical or V rack.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    just know this is low and slow duck, i think i brought the internals up near 200. roast duck is different shooting for medium rare, a few minutes in boiling water to get the fat dripping then higher temp roast, i think the internal for med/rare is somewhere between 135 and 145 when you get it out of the egg, i never cook it this way, i think little chef has written some stuff on it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I like to quarter the bird then cook indirect with a drip pan at 350 dome. I don't care for med rare duck so I take it to 195 internal, the skin gets nice and crispy. -RP

IMG_0577Small.jpg
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here are a few ways I like to do them.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=596159&catid=1

Duck, Whole, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3-5 Lb. Duck, Whole
    MARINADE
    6-8 Whole Garlic Cloves
    1/2 Medium Onion, prefer sweet, but they all work
    1/2 Cup Rosemary, Fresh, if available
    1 1/2-2 Cups Italian Salad Dressing
    Black pepper, Fresh Ground, to taste
    2-3 Lemons, Juice only
    1/2 Cup Teriyaki Sauce, Optional but great if you like the flavor
    ½ Tsp Chinese 5-Spice, Optional, use sparingly because it can overpower the duck!!

Directions:
    1 Place the ingredients in a blender and course puree, save some of the whole rosemary to sprinkle on the duck and fire. Pierce the duck with many tiny drain holes. This helps the marinade get in and the grease to get out. In a large container marinate 4-6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator
    2 I have a large BGE and I get it set up for an indirect with drip pan beneath with water, beer or apple juice, 2-3 cups. Get BGE to 325°-350°F. Place duck on a vertical rack and cook about 60-90 minutes. Have no clue about internal temperature Baste every 20 minutes or so with leftover marinade from drip pan. After 20 years of doing this in the oven and now BGE for last 4, I just kinda eyeball the bird like other poultry for doneness. CAREFUL not to dry out. Or you can slow cook 225F-250F for 4-5 hours indirect.
    3 If you have fresh rosemary the left over branches are great for smoke. For wood: I have used apple, hickory, cherry, guava and a few others I have forgotten about. I do not like a lot of smoke because the duck can be over powered and it is an acquired flavor just to like duck for many people.
    SIDE DISHES
    1 Fresh asparagus, Uncle Ben's Original Wild rice w/chopped water chestnuts, pine nuts, and diced scallions. Ronrico has a pecan flavored rice in most grocery stores that is to die for with this dish. Also a couple of sweet onions quartered in heavy aluminum foil with pat butter, little powdered chicken boullion, pepper, tightly wrapped and placed on BGE for 30-45 minutes until soft to touch, IT'S HOT.
    2 Nice bottle of your favorite wine.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 1990/05/25

01/29/06--Cooked a 6.3# bird today, marinated overnight added 4oz soy sauce and 1/2 tsp 5 spice chinese seasoning and placed vertical indirect @300 for 1 1/2 hours, breast temp @140, removed indirect and set direct @ 300 for 30 min temp 140'ish. shut down BGE and left bird in 1/2 hour. Total time in BGE 2 1/2-2 3/4 hours. Placed tapioca starch of skin and it was good, but due to low temps did not get crispy, my choice. This internal temp 140-145 does not dry out the duck.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    You mean this one?

Duck, Whole, BGE, Djm5x9

INGREDIENTS:
    2 whole ducks
    1/4 cup favorite rub
    For Marinade
    Yoshida’s Gourmet Sauce
    teriyaki sauce
    crushed garlic
    lemon juice
    water

Prparation
    1 Cut the backbone out of your birds,
    2 Dust with your favorite rub or
    3 For something a little different, instead of a rub, use the marinade of Yoshida’s Gourmet Sauce, teriyaki sauce, crushed garlic, lemon juice, and enough water to cover ducks. Mix the liquid per your taste before adding the ducks. Marinate in the refrigerator a couple of hours prior to the cook.
    Cooking
    1 Pre-heat the cooker to 200º dome.
    2 Lay the ducks on the grill cavity side down.
    3 Via whatever set-up allows - elevated racks, etc. - get those birds in the upper dome area to capitalize on the convection activity. This should be a direct cook so do not incorporate plate setters, drip pans or the like in your set-up.
    4 Pecan or fruit wood goes well with duck if you care for a little smoke, just a couple of chunks will do it.
    5 Let the birds (you have to do at least two!) cook for four to five hours with out turning. If you feel more comfortable cooking at a higher dome, keep it as low as possible. The goal is to render as much fat as possible.
    6 As the cook nears completion, raise the dome temperature to crisp the skin.
    Notes
    1 The key to success with this cook is not to over cook and dry the birds out. Likewise, if you under cook them it will be tough and pull dentures out. Think "low and slow" pork butt and you will do just fine. A nice long "low and slow" will render much of the fat if you do it right.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: djm5x9

Source: BGE Forum, Djm5x9, 2003/03/31
  • Thanks for the help , Richard!