Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10 day gasket meltdown

elrondontodo
elrondontodo Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After 10 whole days of having my egg, my gasket melted. WTF? I have cooked on it like 5 times. Am I doing something wrong or are other new eggers having this issue? The store where I bought it said they will replace it for free at least.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Make sure they install the gasket and align the dome correctly this time. Make sure it passes the dollar bill test before they leave. Must be tight all the way around with the lid closed.
  • yeah, but this time I have to install it. They are just giving me the gasket for free.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    If you melted it your dome wasn't aligned properly, if the adhesive failed they did have a long run of faulty gaskets
  • I questioned my dealer about the gaskets burning up. It annoyed me that you pay so much for the Egg and get a cheap gasket but you could buy an after market that would withstand the heat. He explained that the nomex is not rated for food use and the felt is. The nomex can be sold but not installed by BGE. Made perfect sense to me, glad I asked :lol:
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    my med gkt failed after about 5 cooks, IMO I would ask for a nomex or hitemp as BGE calls it and not waste my time putting on another felt gasket, go to Fred's Music & BBQ's web site, he is a BGE dealer in Penn and has a great you tube video on how to replace the gkt. I am just about on my 5th cook on my new large so I am expecting the gkt to go any day now!
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    Good Morning,

I have had my large since May. The gasket went after about 5 or 6 cooks. I e-mailed customer service at the mothership and received a high temp gasket (nomex) free of charge. I will follow fred's video on how to install but I will do it in the spring. Not really a problem now. A little smoke escapes but oh well. I plan on doing a high temp burn off after Thanksgiving so adios to the gasket that remains.

Stef in Brunswick, Oh.
  • I got the new gasket today and installed it. It was the felt because they didnt have the hitemp. But I will email the company to see if I can get the hitemp for free and put that on when this one goes.
  • You got 10 days out of it? You did better than me. Mine was nice and charred after my first cook. Took me two years to get around to replacing it, but my egg worked just fine in the meantime. The only real difference I'm noticing now that I have the new gasket, is that I'm using a LOT less lump.

I wouldn't bother replacing it with the felt. It's not going to last long, and isn't worth the work involved. Wait for the high temp stuff.
  • Emailed the mother base and they are replacing it with a high temp for free. Will apply taht one when this felt melts.