Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ticky Tacky Mad Max Turkey ???s

Options
SomedayMommy
SomedayMommy Posts: 199
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Y'all will think I'm crazy nuts for asking these questions. But I am a detail freak and this is my first turkey!

1. When you open the dome every 20 minutes to baste, doesn't that make the temp go down and shoot up? How do you keep the temp stable?

2. Which leads me to - how many squeezes do you baste each time? Suck squeeze, suck squeeze, close? I know, that sounded funny...haha

3. What kind of apples? Red delicious? Golden delicious? Grannys?

4. What kind of onions? Sweet bermuda? Yellow? White?

5. It's supposed to rain in Ohio all day Thursday. Do I need to be concerned with water getting into egg and on turkey through the daisy wheel? How to fix if so? Foil tent the daisy wheel?

6. The herbs I find in my area are all in those plastic packages. How many do I need? One each of tarragon, sage, thyme, rosemary? Two of each? Max mentions to put a large boquet in the turkey and to cut up some herbs to paste with the butter. "Large" and "some" are not in my vocabulary...haha

Thank you SOOO much!!
Stacie

Comments

• SomedayMommy
    Options
    DUH - about a 15 lb. bird. Bird size would have helped.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't have all the answers, but some thoughts on a couple:

1) I think the best advice is "don't mess with the vents". If the egg is stable, when you open it the temp will drop, then it will quickly heat back up and probably overshoot due to a temporary increase in o2, but should find it's way back to where it was.

2) I just tried to coat the entire bird. Maybe 4 sucks 'n squeezes.

3) Home depot- 6 inch vent cap. 9.99:
    IMG_0361.JPG

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    ill help with the apples, grannys are good, you're way overthinking :laugh: baste often til its wet, onions dont matter which type, if you tie the boquet and its 1 half inch diameter or bigger or smaller dont worry about it. red wine makes purple gravey, use the red if your into purple gravy. 15 pounders seem to come in at the quick side of 15 minutes per pound so watch that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    I have the turkey transport ready to go - hot towels in the bottom of a styrofoam cooler, foiled bird, then hot towels. Should I just find a big container to put the gravy in and put it in there with the bird?
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    Me? Overthink? Say not! :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for the info!
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    Sucks n' squeezes - I think I've just coined a new forum phrase. :laugh:

So your #3 - My opening is a bit out of round, and in fact, I have taped gasket material around the inside of mine. How do you get a good seal with the vent cap? Does that go OVER the daisy wheel? Nah, wouldn't would it?

Thanks for the info!
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    Ok, I'm almost done.

The last question is - how long should a 15 lb. bird take WITH basting every 20 minutes? I've read that could slow down the cook a bit?? i.e. not to go by the 15 min. per pound...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    tinfoil works wraped and dradeud on the wire handle, those rain caps are nice, fits over the daisy, if you get one do not touch it with bare hands, they get really hot.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Yes- it goes over the daisy wheel. I have a pretty new (6 month old) large big green egg. It fits over the daisy wheel perfectly. You can adjust the "eyes" of the daisy to control the temp, and you can crack the "slider" just a bit if need be.

Of course...a patio umbrella would also be a good low tech solution :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SomedayMommy
    Options
    *smacks self on forehead*

DUH - we even need to take the umbrella down for winter storage. Hopefully it won't be windy. I can simply bungee the umbrella to the fence so it won't tip over, too.

Thanks!
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    At what stove temp should the stock be kept at all day? Medium?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    in a season of many contenders, this post and the subsequent followups must surely garner the WTF Award for Thanksgiving Week, 2010. and it's only Monday. hahaha

reeeeelaaaaaax. breath deeeeeeeply. find your happy place.

the egg is supposed to be a zen kinda thing, not a source of anxiety.

in no order:
    -ignore temp swings from opening the dome. nothing has cooled off but the dome thermometer., the egg could care less.

-you transport gravy in a thing with a cover that won't leak.

-simmer temp is that temp which allows it to simmer, generally "low", after having had it ride higher heat until it started to simmer in the first place.

-baste or don't baste. it makes a cook feel good, but it doesn't keep things moist. do it for color maybe, or to keep busy. whatever time it adds is not really possible to calculate.

seriously, though, if you over think this, you will make a mountain out of a molehill. drink some wine to relax. not just while cooking, but i mean RIGHT THE HECK NOW. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WTF Award of the Day. I love it.

And I'm giggling at some of your answers. Positively brilliant - yeah, I am a stress case. You should have seen when I was getting ready to do ribs as well.

"Simmer temp is the point at which the stock simmers" :laugh:

And yes, I can laugh at my own OCD and anxious tendancies...
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I checked my college chemistry book and stock stimmers at 157.42965 degrees. Make sure you do not exceed that ever! :laugh: :blush::whistle:
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, I know. Stupid question of the month award. :laugh:
  • evenwhenitsraining
    Options
    I agree with Stike, basting does nothing.
  • BillHill
    BillHill Posts: 109
    Options
    Did you do a test run of your set up? Make sure your roastng pan, rack, and bird ALL fit inside your egg. With the dome closed BEFORE it's HOT and too late!
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    Did the test run, and everything fit perfectly. THEN I realized I didn't have my V-Rack in. And sure enough, the darn thing doesn't fit.