Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some\'en: Beer and cow

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well maybe I didn't cook the beer but some cow at least and after 12 hours in operations fooling with some really nasty chemicals for a company that just came out of chapter 11 after almost 2 years I needed the beer! :whistle: And and easy cook as I got OT today. Just a couple ribeyes. Mine with DP's Swamp Venium,Raising the Stakes,ADP powder and expresso bean ground coffie. Her's with just a little Red Eye Express.
11-21-2010006.jpg

11-21-2010005.jpg

Stoke up the Medium to nuke temp and sear for almost 2 min. a side doing this twice.
11-21-2010013.jpg

11-21-2010012.jpg

11-21-2010010.jpg

Mine was done at this point. I left hers on for another 2 flips with the top damper off which dropped the temp down to about 325. Wife reminded me later that I was going to try a little rose merry like Frank did yesterday but I forgot all about it. Next time. ;)

11-21-2010022.jpg

11-21-2010020.jpg

On a side note since I had the Egg all ready so hot I decided to burn it off as it had been a while. Ran it on up to about 675 and did not notice the bottom Nomax gasket had turned loose and part was inside the Egg. Hear are the results.
11-21-2010019.jpg

Of course temps almost directly on the coals were far higher than 675 and the gasket not in the Egg was fine but it toasted chrisp that part that was. A question as well: Working for a chemical company we have Nomex close so I know what Nomex is. Now on the Forum I have seen two "Nomexes" The one I have that looks like a cloth gasket and one that looks like carbon fiber. Seems to me the carbon fiber looking one would be tougher as it looks to be thicker. Any one have experances with both or know the differances? :huh:

Comments

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Nice looking steaks Dean. The photo's look great too! I can't help you on the Nomex issue, sorry.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Deane, Those are two very abundant comodities in your place :laugh: Those ribeyes look amazing. Are you going to be with us at Leroy & Judy's next month?
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I have had a couple of gaskets let loose so to speak and one of them I noticed something.

So I did a couple of test to see if what I had noticed had been what I suspected that had caused my problem

I do a lot of pizzas on the egg so mine get burned out all the time. I have another egg that I use a lot for low and slow. I decided to burn it out and my gasket let loose after a while.

What I noticed was when I looked at the inside of the top dome there were small streaks running down towards the gasket.

I figured these streaks were moisture of some kind.

So I was back east visiting my brother who only cooks low and slows on his egg and I decided to give it a test.

I ran the heat up to 650 degs and then opened the egg about 10 mins in. I took a cloth and did a quick rub on the inside of the dome and there was a lot of oil on that rag.

I "sometimes" think that when we are cleaning our we are actually frying our gaskets. As the temp heats up the oils in the ceramic release and run down. They then soak the gasket and either cause the glue to melt or release and or they fry the gasket as the temp rises.

Now the eggs I have tested this on were mainly used for low and slows. Most of us run the temps up and the buildup burns away before it runs down the inside of the egg..

As for nomex...it will burn.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Deane, sorry to see your gasket bit the dust, but your steak looks great! :)

I like the name of your beer. ;)