Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Advice Boneless Prime Rib

thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It looks like my only option for choice beef will be a boneless roast, and I generally cook the bone-in ones. Trying to cover all the bases here, any tips when barbecuing a boneless one? I will be using low pit temps and my Big Green Egg.
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    That is my favorite way to cook prime rib - with or without the bone.

It gives great flavor (I like mesquite), helps tenderize the meat and is very forgiving if the meal gets delayed.

I liked this rub from RRP, but have also used DP, Raising the Steaks.

Prime Rib Rub as modified
    1 T ground mustard
    1.5 t table salt
    0.5 t paprika
    0.25 t allspice
    0.25 t fresh ground pepper
    1 t granulated onion powder
    0.5 t garlic powder
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    its the same cook except its called a delmonico roast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I'll pass along my experience. Purchased a whole rib roast at Sam's (~8 lbs). I cut it in half because didn't have that many people coming over. I allowed it to sit out on the counter for 2 hours before cooking at 250 dome indirect with numerous chunks of hickory wood. I believe I only seasoned with s&p and cooked it for 3 hours until meat temp hit 125 or 130. I planned on doing a reverse sear but the meat had a nice mahogony color so I let well enough along. It was cooked perfectly throughout the cross section, ie: no well done edge with bloody center. I was slightly dissapointed with the meat...it was as good as any resraurant could have done but less then my expectations. I contribute that with the meat not the preparation. Did the second half the same way a month later with similar results although the meat might have been slightly better on that end.

I am not worthy!
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I'm sittin' here reading this and have come to the conclusion that this is a trick question!! :woohoo: I don't know that I've ever seen you ask a question on how to cook something! :ohmy:
    Anyway, I cook these the same way I cook the bone-in type.
  • thirdeye
    Hehehee. No, not a trick question. I put a lot of conficence in those bones.... It's more like I'm looking for small tips that I might not think of. I've considered using foil toward the end of the cook, maybe not sealed but a boat to catch some juices. I'm also considering shooting some hot aujus into it when the internal passes 100°. Studding with garlic is an option too and I might use my larding needle with some garlic butter.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    like the idea of the au jus to get some salt flavor down into the meat
    fukahwee maine

• thirdeye
    DSC01406a.jpg

You should... you were the one that convinced me to shoot my briskets during the plateau.

Besides I have a new toy and an itchy trigger finger.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    much less work and mess injecting it in the egg, and i think it takes more than trying to do it cold on the counter. was using my big cabellas injector to baste a turkey this weekend :laugh: that one looks really nice, i like the big needles
    fukahwee maine

• thirdeye
    DSC01407a.jpg

The big one is huge. No problem having a chunk of garlic clogging it up.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    The only difference I see is you don't have the bone to protect it during the roast. just have to do a little more flipping/ rolling to keep the color and texture even. I do prefer Trex over reverse sear on the boneless ones, don't know that it makes a difference but I'm a creature of habit :laugh:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Can you buy the beef ribs separate then tie them on? gnawling on the bones is some of the best part :whistle:
  • thirdeye
    Pat, I had thought of turning it a couple of times during the cook to even out the doneness.... but tying on some other ribs is a new one on me. Interesting idea.

Gosh, I wonder if they have to be beef ribs?? Some pork ribs would make a good heat shield, and a tasty snack.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~