Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pork Tenderloin taste test

Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning pork tenderloins for a SS party on Dec. 4 and since I have come across several good recipes, I decided to test 4 recipes tonight. I invited our best friends /neighbors for the judging.

This morning I prepped the non-stuffed ones:
1) QBabe's coffee-crusted pork tenderloin recipe from the cookbook section on the Forum.
2) Egret's Maple/Bourbon Ham injection and rub.
Followed the recipes (about 2+ ounces of maple syrup injection in the tenderloin) pretty closely. Wrapped these two in plastic wrap, then in ziplocks in the fridge for about 9 hours.
DSC_0285.jpg

This afternoon I butterflied 2 tenderloins and stuffed:
3) Bente's spinach/tomato/cheese stuffed (from a Forum post)/Dizzy Dust rub
4) An apple/carrot/onion/pecan stuffing with apricot preserve glaze from "Cooks.com"
DSC_0284.jpg

All four elevated, direct at about 400*. Pulled between 138 and 145* (they cooked differently), foiled and rested.
DSC_0286.jpg
Sliced (Coffee-rubbed in front, Maple/Bourbon in back.
DSC_0288.jpg
Bente's coffee-rubbed - notice how juicy. :woohoo:
DSC_0289.jpg
Egret's Maple/bourbon - also very juicy: :woohoo:
DSC_0290.jpg
The stuffed ones (spinach/tomato on left, apple/carrot on right):
DSC_0291.jpg

THE VERDICT:
Stuffed: 3 of 4 preferred the spinach/tomato version, but felt the tomato paste was too pronounced (our store didn't have sundried tomato paste, so I used regular tom paste mixed with some cut-up sundried tomatoes).
Non-stuffed: The Egret Maple/bourbon won out - the coffee-crusted one was a little strong / most preferred the sweeter taste.

Since I plan to offer the tenderloins in sandwiches, I think the non-stuffed versions will work the best. So it looks like I will be buying more maple syrup, bourbon and Dijon mustard next week. :ohmy:

Comments