Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin taste test

Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning pork tenderloins for a SS party on Dec. 4 and since I have come across several good recipes, I decided to test 4 recipes tonight. I invited our best friends /neighbors for the judging.

This morning I prepped the non-stuffed ones:
1) QBabe's coffee-crusted pork tenderloin recipe from the cookbook section on the Forum.
2) Egret's Maple/Bourbon Ham injection and rub.
Followed the recipes (about 2+ ounces of maple syrup injection in the tenderloin) pretty closely. Wrapped these two in plastic wrap, then in ziplocks in the fridge for about 9 hours.
DSC_0285.jpg

This afternoon I butterflied 2 tenderloins and stuffed:
3) Bente's spinach/tomato/cheese stuffed (from a Forum post)/Dizzy Dust rub
4) An apple/carrot/onion/pecan stuffing with apricot preserve glaze from "Cooks.com"
DSC_0284.jpg

All four elevated, direct at about 400*. Pulled between 138 and 145* (they cooked differently), foiled and rested.
DSC_0286.jpg
Sliced (Coffee-rubbed in front, Maple/Bourbon in back.
DSC_0288.jpg
Bente's coffee-rubbed - notice how juicy. :woohoo:
DSC_0289.jpg
Egret's Maple/bourbon - also very juicy: :woohoo:
DSC_0290.jpg
The stuffed ones (spinach/tomato on left, apple/carrot on right):
DSC_0291.jpg

THE VERDICT:
Stuffed: 3 of 4 preferred the spinach/tomato version, but felt the tomato paste was too pronounced (our store didn't have sundried tomato paste, so I used regular tom paste mixed with some cut-up sundried tomatoes).
Non-stuffed: The Egret Maple/bourbon won out - the coffee-crusted one was a little strong / most preferred the sweeter taste.

Since I plan to offer the tenderloins in sandwiches, I think the non-stuffed versions will work the best. So it looks like I will be buying more maple syrup, bourbon and Dijon mustard next week. :ohmy:

Comments