Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Wish me luck: Turkey Throwdown

finaltablefinaltable Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last year my parents went to visit my amateur chef sister and raved about her oven cooked turkey. I said I needed to do one on my Egg for comparison. This year my sister is going to be at my parents' house for Thanksgiving, so yesterday I built a rolling table for my Egg from the plans on the BGE site and am loading it up in my truck for a Thanksgiving Turkey Throw Down. We have a big extended family so she and I are each doing a 15 lb bird; mine, of course in the Egg using the Mad Max recipe and hers in the oven using some recipe she has.

This will be my fifth Mad Max turkey so I think I have the procedure down, I am posting here for the advice of the community.

I am curious to know if anyone has opinions on the specific ingredients. I am going to use Pinot Grigio white wine and was thinking about using Irish butter instead of the regular "house brand." I also don't know if anyone has thoughts on the type of onion to use, whether regular yellow vs sweet white and what kind of apples impart the best flavor to the turkey.

It is my opinion that the turkey comes out better off the Egg than from the oven. She is making some kind of gravy that includes reducing a whole bottle of red wine so my goal is to beat her on "turkey" and at least tie on "gravy."

I appreciate the support. I WILL report back how it comes out.

Comments