Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fast butt cook

Options
Woodbutcher
Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to try a fast butt cook today. The egg fluctuated between 350-400. 17 1/2 lbs done in 4 1/2 hours. I wrapped them and put them in a cooler to rest but I had to pull a little piece to test. Pretty dang good!
IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

It actually went a little faster than I wanted but it's all good!

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Turbo butt...looks great! How does it compare to a slow n low?

What kind of sauce is that? I've been looking for a good NC style sauce. I can't make out the word before "catering".

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    What internal temp did you take it to? -RP
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    That looks really good. I have done them both ways. The only difference I have found is how long I have to worry about the cook. Sometimes I like to worry about it and do an overnight, sometimes I just want pork quick, so I do it at high heat.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Dale,

Looks good. What internal temp did you go to?. Fast butt...that is all I need, I'm gonna eggsplode. :laugh:
    Moosehead light?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Woodbutcher
    Options
    I took it to 200. It doesn't seem any different than the low and slow.
    Moosehead light...starting slow. :)
  • Woodbutcher
    Options
    I took it to 200. The crust seems a little drier than a low and slow. I'm hoping the rest in the cooler will moisten it up a little bit.
  • Woodbutcher
    Options
    I can't see much difference cooking it fast. The "bark" is a little drier but the flavor is really good.
    The sauce is Larry's Catering. It's a vinegar based sauce and I really like it on Pulled pork.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    When I do fast ribs the fat doesn't render out as well as the low and slow ones. How did the butts fare with fat rendering? -RP
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Interesting! Nice bark and smoke ring. How was the texture compared to a low n slow?
    Thanks Dale.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Woodbutcher
    Options
    I'll get back to you soon. I didn't pull it yet. Still sitting in the cooler. Lazy watching football.
  • Woodbutcher
    Options
    I only had the one sandwich and it was a little firmer but still good. I'll pull it soon and let you know how the rest of it is.
  • Woodbutcher
    Options
    Randy - there did seem to be more un-rendered fat than normal. Not a lot but there was more. The meat is still nice and moist.

Molly - the meat is a little firmer but still really good. I would definitely do it again. It saved a lot of time but probably used as much lump as low and slow.

Finished product.

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Dale,

Did it pull as easily?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Woodbutcher
    Options
    Steve ... yes it did. Very good.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Looks great!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • GoBlues
    Options
    Ive cooked two separate butts on my egg in indirect with placesetter and water in drip pan. Both cooked at 230 and took off the first one at 195 and the second at 192. Both have ended up dry. I am used to eating my pulled pork from my rotisserie cooker that is very moist and juicy. Is there anything special I can do to keep it moist? Pull it off earlier?

tailgatesmoker.jpg
  • GoBlues
    Options
    Ive cooked two separate butts on my egg in indirect with placesetter and water in drip pan. Both cooked at 230 and took off the first one at 195 and the second at 192. Both have ended up dry. I am used to eating my pulled pork from my rotisserie cooker that is very moist and juicy. Is there anything special I can do to keep it moist? Pull it off earlier?
    [img size=150][/img]tailgatesmoker.jpg
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Dale, your turbo butt looks good. :)

I'm going to have to try turbo ribs and turbo butt some day. I've done turbo briskets and they were delicious.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    nice Dale,, I still haven't tried any of the fast butts or ribs but looks like I need to give it a shot
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Dale, looks great! How's the bark compared to low and slow? If only someone can develop an intelligent software for Guru/Stoker that can take all variables into consideration and automatically raise/lower temp as needed to complete the cook at a target end temp and time :woohoo: never mind, that was the geek in me talking :blush:
    Gary
    canuckland
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Pull it off later. When it hit's 200, wrap in hdaf and towels then in the cooler for a few hours. that should change everything for you.
    I also aim for a therm temp of 275ish.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"