Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Setup Help

Options
Quadzilla
Quadzilla Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking my first turkey this year and am going to use the following setup;

Large BGE , I am removing the fire ring. It will be Fire box, Plate Setter legs down, roasting pan on top of green legs, grate on top of roasting pan.

I will be using a Digiq DX for temp control. Is there anything I should be concerned about with this setup?

Thanks!

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    If you are using the DigiQ why not just flip the plate setter and use the feet with the pan and the grid on the legs of the setter? Seems like you would have more room, allowing for a bigger bird.
  • Quadzilla
    Options
    I could do it either way with the plate setter. I tried the set up I described and I have plenty of room. I figured legs down would allow for more lump.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Quad. I drew a sketch of your setup to visualize it. The way I see it, whether the legs are down without the firering, or legs up with firering, the p/s is more or less at the same level. If your pan can fit between the legs then I would do it legs up with firering, this'll allow you to easily fill the lump above the box.

Also, are you planning to baste the gobbler mad max style? It so, it'll be hard to baste with the grid between the bird and the pan. Most folks use a V-rack to hold the bird inside the pan.

Good luck and remember to take pictures!

Gary
    canuckland
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    why are you taking out the fire ring and then going legs down on the plate setter?? that defeats the purpose. .. . leave the fire ring in and put the plate setter in feet up...put the green feet on top of the plate setter with the roasting pan on top of that with a v-rack in the roasting pan with the bird in it ...you don't even need the grid....

have you seen my set up in the mad max turkey description?
  • Quadzilla
    Options
    Thanks for the replies;

@Canugghead - I tried both setups and the one I described is slightly lower. I am not basting and will just be using the pan for drippings/gravy.

@Mad Max - V-Rack is a great call. Thanks! I did see your setup and will give it a try for my next bird.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    But you don't need a lot of lump to do a turkey. Just fill it to half the fire ring and you will still have a ton left when done.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

The pan being slightly higher or lower won't make much of a difference either way. I like to cook higher up in the egg but with a large bird I usually finding myself figuring our how to lower the pan in the egg.

As for basting, I have found frequent opening of the dome will tend to dry out the meat if one doesn't baste well. Opening the dome often with out basting with chicken will tend to produce a crispier skin. However, the meat is also a little dryer.

If you are not basting the bird, don't let the liquid in the pan cook dry.

Max's tutorial is a great place to start and then modify to your liking.

There was no basting with this bird.
    09turkey1.jpg

09turkey2.jpg

I was basting with this bird.
    turkey0812.jpg

GG
  • Quadzilla
    Options
    Thanks for the info GG! I am using a different recipe that will require opening once an hour to check level of liquid with no basting.

I will post pics and results when done.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Good cooking.

Kent