Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Digi Q DX question

baseballbaseball Posts: 6
edited 4:33AM in EggHead Forum
I just received my new new DigiQ DX (10 cfm blower).
I am not a electronic person so I am having trouble understanding how to set it up. Any help is appeciated.
I need DX for "Dummies".

Do you install this blower before you fire up the grill or when ?

Please help...

Baseball

Comments

• Should be a few answers shortly.

Spring "Asleep At The Wheel" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  •  
    The manual is very helpful. :)

Some of this will depend on how you light your egg. I don't install the blower until I have the egg within 50° to 100° of target temperature.

I want the lump to develop its own oxygen draw up through the lump bed, then the Guru or Stoker will take over from there.

Once I used the Guru during the initial lighting and and ended up with a vertical burn, the fire went out during the night and I lost a pork butt. To prevent this I now light the egg in 3 or 5 places.

GG
  • tsbradytsbrady Posts: 101
    I agree with Grandpa's Grub, start the fire 1st then as you approach 200 set up the DigiQ, I clipped the pit probe on the thermometer stem, the daisy wheel is almost completly shut if you are running 250 or so. I used it to do Carwash Mike's ribs and it held the temp for over 5 hrs, I was impressed!
  • You've got mail!
  • I get the lump burning properly, get everything set up (plate setter, etc.) and then install the DigiQ. I set the fan adapter at about 2/3 closed and leave the daisy wheel open a bit to avoid over smoking and avoid any possibility of stale smoke lingering.
    Packerland, Wisconsin