Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Sides to Cook Ahead

Options
Lightnin' Bolt
Lightnin' Bolt Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all!

After reading Pork Butt Mike's posting on how he makes gravy ahead of time... it got me thinking. What sides do you like to cook ahead of time vs. must cook the day of? I have always cooked most everything the day of Turkey day, and would love to try to do more cooking ahead of time to be able to enjoy the company a bit more.

Do you make the sides themselves and then don't cook them or do you cook the sides and then reheat on Turkey Day?

Just curious. Thanks!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ive got my gravey done, some duck fat rendered, and some homemade cranberry horseradish relish frozen in the freezer. heres something that doesnt happen in alot of gatherings, most that show up, show up early and participate in the cook, we start the gathering early in the morning, drinks and food prep :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Haha, That's what is supposed to happen here but they all drink and I run around like a headless chicken

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Depending on what you are serving, pumpkin pie, sweet potato casserole, greenbeans onions,gravy can all be done ahead if you have the frig capacity. Here is a very interesting relish that we make a day ahead to mellow the flavors. Happy and Safe holidays.

Relish, Cranberry, Williams

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Apples, Remove seeds, leave skin on, Cleaned
    2 Oranges, Seedless, leave skin on, Pieces
    1 16 Ozs Bag Cranberry, Fresh
    1 Tsp Salt, optional
    3/4-1 Cup Sugar

Procedure:
    1 Cut oranges and apples into 1/8th's and mix with cranberries. Sprinkle 3/4-1 cup sugar over fruit. Put in food processor and pulse until texture is about 1/8th inch.

Recipe Type
    Condiment

Recipe Source
    Source: Hub Williams, 2006/11/30

Old Williams family recipe.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i will only cook the 2 turkeys, make the stuffing, and make more gravy. if they want something else they best be cooking :laugh: im perfectly fine with turkey stuffing and gravey ;) by the time they start im done with the turkey prep and am drinking...... i mean cooking the turkey.....basting the birds....handing out beverages :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Options
    Lightnin' Bolt,

I generally do the mashed potatoes, carrots, squash or turnip the day before. The stock for gravy/demi glace through the week before and often the dressing. Have a big crowd for the holidays and wouldn't be possible the day of.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Wanna share that relish method? Sounds delish!
    Thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • fishlessman
    Options
    this is the one i used, add a little cream cheese to it or you could even use yogurt instead of the sour cream. it needs to be frozen not just put into the fridge to set up right. had horseradish in the garden and just enough cranberries along the river this year to make it up. when you take it from the freezer its good to scrape some with a spoon and try it as a sorbet.would be good in the turkey sandwich especially if the turkey has a smoke flavor. im still going to have a sweet cranberry relish as well

http://www.food.com/recipe/cranberry-horseradish-sauce-20949
    fukahwee maine

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Cool, thanks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Cranberry sauce, for one. I use a recipe that goes back 30+ years, using whole berries, Tawny Port, apples & OJ. I'll post the recipe if anyone's interested. Sure beats the canned variety! This year I'm gonna try sauteing slices of pre-cooked sweet potatoes seasoned with DP Pineapple Head, in EVOO (Inspired by MM&B)!.. another dish that can be prepared a day or two ahead. Happy Thanksgiving! 8 - )
  • fishlessman
    Options
    post away :laugh: i plan on drinking a good Tawney and need to open it a day ahead anyways. :woohoo: i like to add some blueberries to mine as well
    fukahwee maine

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    I prepare all of the casseroles in advance - sweet potato, squash, green bean. I usually prepare large quantities of squash and sweet potato casserole 3 or 4 time a year and freeze in casserole sizes. I am planning to prepare the dressing Wednesday evening this year - my goal on Thursday morning is to get up early, enjoy my coffee and the parades. Egg the turkey breast, bake a pecan pie, and make a bowl of potato salad. I received a Honey Baked gift certificate recently so I'm going to pick up a small ham on Tuesday. More and more, I try to cook ahead - I want to enjoy the day and my family. I also want to watch football! :cheer: