Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digi Q DX question

baseball
baseball Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just received my new new DigiQ DX (10 cfm blower).
I am not a electronic person so I am having trouble understanding how to set it up. Any help is appeciated.
I need DX for "Dummies".

Do you install this blower before you fire up the grill or when ?

Please help...

Baseball

Comments

• Should be a few answers shortly.

Spring "Asleep At The Wheel" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  •  
    The manual is very helpful. :)

Some of this will depend on how you light your egg. I don't install the blower until I have the egg within 50° to 100° of target temperature.

I want the lump to develop its own oxygen draw up through the lump bed, then the Guru or Stoker will take over from there.

Once I used the Guru during the initial lighting and and ended up with a vertical burn, the fire went out during the night and I lost a pork butt. To prevent this I now light the egg in 3 or 5 places.

GG
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    I agree with Grandpa's Grub, start the fire 1st then as you approach 200 set up the DigiQ, I clipped the pit probe on the thermometer stem, the daisy wheel is almost completly shut if you are running 250 or so. I used it to do Carwash Mike's ribs and it held the temp for over 5 hrs, I was impressed!
  • I get the lump burning properly, get everything set up (plate setter, etc.) and then install the DigiQ. I set the fan adapter at about 2/3 closed and leave the daisy wheel open a bit to avoid over smoking and avoid any possibility of stale smoke lingering.
    Packerland, Wisconsin