Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great grill; cheap parts

Options
JB
JB Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been an avid user of my XL BGE for 2.5 years now, and have loved the versatility of the cook, and the quality of the results using it. However, aside from the gasket, which is reasonable to replace every couple years or so, my plate setter, firebox, and the ring have all cracked apart, and are in pieces now making it impossible to use. I've already e-mailed "customer service (hardly)" and received no replies from them in over 2 weeks.

I've read the discussions about fixing visible cracks using JB weld, but that is at best, a short-term solution. I've been to the local ACE Hardware to price out replacement parts, and we're looking at around $700 for everything I need. I say, hell no! The grill itself was over $1300 brand new, and a 2 year old grill shouldn't need $700 replacement parts after normal wear and tear!

As a guy that used to think the BGE was the best grill ever, and one that has encouraged the purchase of at least 10 grills that I'm aware of from my use and endorsement of the product, I'm extremely pissed off. Even with regular care, these ceramic pieces are a joke, and as avid users, deserve something better.

I demand something better than this, and you should too! Thoughts, suggestions, and similar experiences good or bad are welcomed.

JB

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    your first stop should be with the authorized dealer you bought it from. It's pretty clear in the warranty that the firebox and firering are warranty items as for the plate setter it carries (I believe) a one year warranty. If you need them in a rush you may have to pay shipping or just have the dealer add them on to their next shipment. My local dealer carries all the parts in stock.
  • JB
    JB Posts: 18
    Options
    Unfortunately, the dealer I bought it from is no longer in business (BBQ Galore). I get the 1 year warranty thing as that is common for most things. However, a quality product shouldn't have major breakdowns in it's ability to work after 2.5 years of service. $700 every 2 years isn't good business; it's a jack.

JB
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    If your dealing with the mothership you most likely will have to pay shipping. Find a customer service minded dealer in your area and work with them. FYI my oldest egg is about 12 years and still with the original firebox and ring. There is no reason to spend $700 on parts unless you tossed the egg down the stairs.
  • ccbassking
    Options
    JB Pat is right on with his advice. Both my dealers for 2 of 3 of my eggs went out of business. I just found another customer oriented dealer. The concensus here is to call the mothership for best response. For what its worth I just priced a firebox and platesetter for an xl and came up with $260.(couldn't find firering)so it sounds like Ace sharpened their pencil and stuck it in your eye! Hope this helps

Joe
    Cape Cod Mass
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Find out who your area distributor is and contact them

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LFGEnergy
    Options
    JB - Agree with above re: finding new dealer. If you are in a town that supported a BBQ Galore, I suggest your posting where in US where you are located, and seeing if one of our members might know of a customer-oriented dealer in your area that they can recommend. Good luck!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Take a deep breath and relax. I have yet to have any part of any of my eggs crack and they are used 6-7 days a week and year round. the oldest is 8 years old. I am not saying you have done anything just that it really is not that common. and it is all covered 'cept the plate setter if it is a year old or older. believe me there would be tons of screaming people on here if it was any other way. call the mother ship for help with a good attitude and it will all be fine ;) and post where you are so we can help you find a good local dealer or your distributor for any future issues.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    JB, it sounds like you have had some good food off of that egg since you got it. I feel for you that you had this problem without your original dealer to help you out. You are right, it is a great grill, but the parts dont always hold up. I promise the cost to build an egg is no where near the cost it is sold at, but you buy the egg, plus the future replacements costs are built in. I dont mean that in a negative way, it is what it is. Many fireboxes and firerings will crack or break. Bge's have this issue, and so do all other ceramic manufacturers that I have seen. This is the reason there is a lifetime warranty on their parts, so you are covered (others dont fully stand behind their product like bge does). I would call bge (emails get ignored sometimes, seems to be a trend at all companies), and have them send you the parts. You will have to pay shipping, but try to overlook it if you can. Good luck, and keep on cooking after you get your new parts!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You got all of the advice you need already posted...for the record my first firebox broke in the first 2 weeks I owned my egg.....that said...even if BBQ's galore was still in business, they wouldn't have offered any help anyway..they are hands down the worst representative of BGE that there is...you also need to be a little realistic of the extremes that these ceramic pieces you call a "joke" are put through by us egg users...I feel they hold up pretty well..and when they fail, they get replaced...for FREE...