Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

standing rib roast

Options
TnVolKen
TnVolKen Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is a standing rib roast and a prime rib roast the same thing?

Once cooked how long could you wrap in foil and keep good to serve?

Thanks

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    Yep, the standing rib roast is the same except the grade of meat is less then "prime". If you wrap in foil and towels in a cooler it would keep hot for hours. However, hopefully you are cooking it below the safe level for holding meat (140 internal temp). Because of that I think you should try and limit your holding times to 2 hours max.
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Options
    Standing rib roast is what you normally get at the grocery store and typically would have the rib bones attached, I have been told that true prime rib is more of a restuarant grade cut and is sold through wholesalers. I would be careful of letting it sit too long wrapped up, it may turn out more on the well done side than you anticipated. I would not let it sit more than 15 or 20 min and I would not wrap it as much as just cover it with alum foil.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My understanding is the "standing rib roast" just means that it is a prime rib with the rib bones still attached. What I have heard is that the "prime" just means primal cut and has nothing to do with the grade.

So, you can get a prime rib with or without the bones attached. The rib bones add some flavor because there is fat around them. The downside is IMO it is less economical because you are paying for bones, and for some reason the "standing rib" always seems more expensive. That being said...I usually go for the standing rib roast anyway.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    prime rib comes from the prime ribs on the cow, it doesnt mean the meat is prime. you can buy a prime rib roast either prime or choice or select grade, i actually prefer a good choice cut because the prime can be too fatty, sometimes way too fatty, standing and prime rib are the same, they remove the the first couple ribs from the chuck end and from the loin end, the rest is considered the "prime" ribs. thats the way i learned it ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Roasting it with the ribs makes for an outstanding presentation. Not sure why you want to wrap in foil and towels - this cut is usually served medium rare with the end pieces more done for those that like medium. I would rub it with garlic and herbs and roast it to 125 internal. Let us know how it turns out and good luck.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I will tent for ten - fifteen minutes. I won't wrap to save for hours - it will be way over cooked.

doing a two bone prime rib tonight

Bought a four bone prime rib last weekend. The butcher did an excellent job removing the bones and fat cap them retying. Cut it down to two two-bone roast.

Removed the bone and fat cap, made a smear with the following, smeared the roast really well, then vacuum packed. One went in the fridge and the other went in the freezer.

IMG_4492800x600.jpg

IMG_4497800x600.jpg

IMG_4498800x600.jpg

IMG_4501800x600.jpg

Trying to decide between two popular methods for eggin.

Put it on at a dome temp of 500 then reduce to 350 till 120-125 and pull and tent for 10-15 minutes (as described by Mad Max on Naked Whiz's site)

or

Roast at 350 till 115, crank up the temps, lower the grate to just over the lump, reverse sear, then rest.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    sometimes when there is that much fat with a reverse sear the amount of drippings hitting the lump causes ashes to fly up making the roast sooty. with a 2 bone i like to trex it with a low 325 degree roasting temp to finish it up. you will get nice grill lines and a nice even cook throughout the roast. ive seen a few fatty primes ruined with that fat dripping during the final sear if your going direct and reverse sear
    fukahwee maine

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Nice advice fish - I was leaning that way cause that's the way I have done them in the past and I'm concerned of overcooking doing a reverse sear. You helped me make my mind up.

Thanks
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i don't like to sear them anyway (direct)... i find a high dry roast temp gives me more golden brown caramelized sugars than a sear can give anyway. searing can burn, and burned fat is no good, in my house, anyway.

start slow, then high heat at the end to brown things even more
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Options
    2 bone ribroast is a steak to me :laugh: bigger i treat as a roast, i never reverse sear with a dripping wet fatty roast, maybe a roast with just a little fat like a trimmed boneless delmonico but with the fatty bone in i like it cooked like max does starting at a high heat but not a searing temp and dropping the temps or just cookin it at a low roasting temp and forgetting the sear or higher temps all together

for me the fat burns quicker once its hot, heres one trexed, fats not burnt and i wouldnt sear it all over, just the two sides like a steak

2005233303.jpg

01fd68e1.jpg
    fukahwee maine