Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fave Homemade Cookie(Holiday or otherwise)

Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never been much of a baker, but who doesnt love a good warm cookie. My favorites are peanut butter, and choc chip.
What are a couple of your favorites? Share a recipe?

Comments

• I love Italian pignoli cookies, made with almond paste in the dough and rolled in pine nuts to coat. Even better if a preserved Amarena cherry is hidden inside. Second favorite is a salted-butter shortbread made with part nut flour (almond or hazelnut flour).
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Macadamia and white chocolate cookies. Yum.
  • Ron,

Scottish Shortbreads. They really pack the pounds on me over the holidays.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Mexican wedding cookies. I could eat the whole batch :blush:
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • My Sugar and Spice cookies. Yummy!

Judy
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Molasses, the flat chewy ones that you roll in sugar so they have a crust and almost hard chewy inside. all crinkly and wrinkled..
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    My ex used to make apricot-filled cookies (old family recipe) that were out of this world! I tried to make them once, but without much success. Not sure what I did wrong, but they were nowhere near as good. I have the recipe (somewhere) so if you want to try them, I'll see if I can find it. They look like this...

Nfilled02.jpg

Mom makes a similar cookie filled with mince meat. Also a favorite. Wife's were better, but don't tell my mom!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    This is not a cookie, but I love Potica!!

1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup milk, lukewarm
    1 cup butter, softened
    6 egg yolks
    1 1/3 cups milk
    5 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup butter, melted
    1 cup honey
    1 1/2 cups raisins
    1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 3 tablespoons of the flour in warm milk. Mix well, and let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
    In a large mixing bowl cream the butter with the remaining sugar. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the yeast mixture, remaining milk, 4 cups of flour and the salt; mix well. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
    Lightly grease one or two cookie sheets. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and roll Out to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Spread each piece with melted butter, honey, raisins, walnuts and cinnamon. Roll each piece up like a jelly roll and pinch the ends. Place seam side down onto the prepared baking sheets. Let rise until double in volume. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 60 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

Also love Bisco-chitos. An anise cookie.

2 c. shortening
    1 c. sugar
    cream together
    2 egg yolks
    2 tsp. anise seed
    beat in mixture
    5 1/2 c. flour
    1 tsp. salt
    3 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 c. oj or water or lemon juice. Enough to make a plyable dough. Roll out to 1/8th in.
    Cut cookies and sprinkle a cinnamon and sugar mixture on top.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 7 layer cookies

There are many names for these cookies (e.g., my wife calls them Chockaroons) and many variations on this recipe. But here's what I do:

1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs in a bowl. Add melted butter (1 stick). Mix and then press into 9x13 pan.

Then add the layers - coconut, chocolate chips, chopped walnuts. (Recipe calls for 1 cup of each but it's really up to you. I just use enough to cover the pan.) Pour can of condensed milk over everything.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. (Time may vary. If it's overcooked the edges get too chewy. You want it to look golden brown)
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    anything without raisins... they ruin a good cookie
    context is important :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    not fully a cookie but it starts with one, those vanilla wafer cheese cakes in the muffin papers with some cherry pie filling. i dont eat sweets often but i do like those stupid little cheese cake things on the vanilla wafers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hard to beat a good snickerdoodle.

But I made these recently, and they are outstanding.
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/butterscotch_cookies/
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Gotta love McVitie's

Do you have problems with short legged raccoons breaking into your cookie stash late at night while the family sleeps?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Oatmeal Scotchies.....best served warm.

Recipes all over the net, no big family secret or anything, but MAN are they good.
  • Continually.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 1. Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip (my grandmothers recipe)
    2. Those cheap sugar cookies at Walmart
    3. White Chocolate Macadamia Nut
    4. Peanut Butter
    5. Any cookie from Panera

I can keep going because I am a cookie monster
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Thanks for the ideas folks. Gonna try some out over the next couple weekends with my 6 year old. She'd rather work with real dough than play-doh anyway.