Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wascal Wabbit

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
a cook from a few days ago. was in a dutch oven, not very egg-centric.

fresh rabbit

4503b023.jpg

i cut it up into two forelegs, two rear, and two saddle pieces. that, together with some trimmings, liver, and kidneys (and the heart) got sauteed in the dutch oven in 2 tbs butter til browned both sides. pulled it out on a plate while i cooked down an entire shallot in the same butter, along with a few sprigs of sage and thyme and rosemary from the garden. a cup or so of calvados went in, and i touched a match to it to burn off the alcohol. two or three cups of cider went into the pot, along with the pieces. i put the backbone and ribs in first, and the rest on top of that. let it go for about 45 with the cover on.

took out the ribs and backbone and lever/kidneys/etc., and plated the rabbit pieces. fast-simmered (lid off) til the sauce was a little more reduced, added a couple tbs heavy cream, salt pepper to taste.

carmelized some tart apples in butter til the edges browned, and put those over the rabbit with a little sauce, the rest of the sauce on the side as a gravy.

5dfb5a79.jpg

mashed potatoes and some grilled eggplant rounded it out, along with some brussel sprouts.

e9c58c8f.jpg

kids seemed not at all concerned that it was rabbit. enjoyed it.

what's left over went into the gravy, thinned with some chicken stock, added some leftover corn, and am calling it rabbit soup.
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments