Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turducken question

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A fellow egger who doesn't post here asked me today about egging a boneless turducken from Fresh Market. She asked if roasting one is similar to a boneless turkey roll, etc. Anybody want to help?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    from what ive heard its a low and slow cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I can't speak to egging one, but the Cajun Stuff store by my parents house in Houston has this posted on their website (turducken.com). We have only used method #2.

Q. How do I cook a turducken?
    A. There are 3 options in cooking a turducken:

1. From Frozen Method
    You may cook it from frozen solid. Remove from package, then place in deep baking pan covered tightly on the outer pan edges with foil, bake approximately 8 to 10 hours at 250°F or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Before slicing remove cotton string and begin slicing then serve.

2. Thawing Method
    Defrost instructions: Thaw in refrigerator for 3 Days, Remove from package, then place in deep baking pan covered tightly on the outer edges with foil, bake approximately 4 hours covered, then an additional hour , totaling ( 5 ) hours cooking time @ 350°F, or until internal temp reaches 165°F.

3. Quick thaw Method
    Place Turducken left inside package submerge in cool water for approximately 6 hours. Then Remove from package, place in deep baking pan covered tightly on outer edges with foil, bake approximately 4 hours covered, then an additional hour, totaling ( 5 ) hours cooking time @ 350°F, or until internal temp reaches 165°F
  • ron

if its fresh and not frozen ...i roast mine at around 300 - 325 dome temp (so not quite lo and slo)....i figure that gives the meat in the middle plenty of time to cook without drying out the turkey breast on the outside.....you can even ice bag the turkey breasts for 20 - 30 minutes to slow them down like i do for a mad max turkey .. . .i think i still figured on around 15 minutes per pound to get the whole thing done. ....trick is, when sticking a thermometer in it, is to hit all the different layers of meat to make sure the duck and chicken are done too ....you don't want to be taking a temp on the stuffing thats in there ....
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have done a few as Max said a little higher temp is warranted. NO SMOKE as the stuffing will rapidly absorb it.

Turkey, Turducken, Richard Fl

INTHEBEGINNING.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1 15Lbs Turducken, Stuffed Creole Style, Tony Chachere's
    *****Marinade*****
    2 Cloves Garlic, Sliced
    6 Ozs. Orange Juice Concentrate
    1 Tbs Oregano
    1 Tbs Pepper, Black
    1 Tbs Cumin
    2 Tbs Kosher Salt
    2 Cups Lemon Juice, Fresh

Procedure:
    1 For a regular unstuffed turkey, marinate the bird over night in a plastic container. This will make enough for a 10-12 pound bird. Saved the basting juice and made a gravy, little tart, but good!
    2 Stuff the bird with lots of garlic and cook as you normally would, using the marinade to baste. Baste the bird every now and then. When done, use the drippings and add some corn starch mixed in cold water and make a gravy.
    3 This marinade is used for turkey, Cajun Style, however I used it for a Turducken.
    4 Marinated turducken for 2 hours. Just basted the turducken. Did not put in any container like the unstuffed bird, 'cause figured the dressing would get mushy. It was a little anyway, but not because of the way it was marinated.
    5 Placed in large BGE 350°F, platesetter legs up, NO SMOKE! 15 pound bird, 20 minutes/pound if defrosted. Internal temperature 160°F. This bird took 5 hours.
    NOTE the lemon halves to moisten the breasts, hehe.

ONTHEEGG2.jpg

6 Roasted in rib rack, turned over, top of drip pan.
    7 Covered with foil the first 4 hours and then removed the last hour to brown up.

OFFEGG2.jpg

8 Rested for 45 minutes.
    9 Presentation!
    10 Removed drumsticks, thighs and wings, only bones on bird. Split down center and cut into 1 1/2 inch slices.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Marinade, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/03/10
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thank you guys!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • hizzoner
    hizzoner Posts: 182
    From Cajun Grocer:

HOW TO COOK YOUR CAJUNGROCER TURDUCKEN

MAKE SURE THE TURDUCKEN IS COMPLETELY THAWED.Be sure to thaw your Turducken for 48 to 72 hours in refrigerator (2 to 3 days) or quick thaw in cool water (in sink, placed in garbage liner) for 6 to 9 hours. Preheat over to 325 F. Remove all packaging including cryovac pouch. Cover and bake with legs pointing up. Be sure to remove cover for last hour of cooking or until brown. Allow 4-1/2 to 5 hours to cook: Cook to an internal temperature of 165 F.
  • Hi Rich
    Where do you get that Tony C's Turduckhen?
    Thanks
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Richard Fl
    I bought 6 of them after new years a few years ago in Wally World. Regular $45 apprx, marked down after the new year $16/each. Wish I had some more.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Grillin': We tried one ONCE, and TC's couldn't pay us enough to try another. :sick: Perhaps ours was just 'off', but I found it all 'pressed and formed' meats in all layers. Next Turduckhen will be home made. ;)
    No disrespect to Richard FL...as I said, perhaps ours was just off. But it was off enough that I will not do TC's again.
  • Thanks for the info! I checked around and a local Fresh Market Grocery will make one for us so I ordered one from them. I checked to find out if they get them in already made or make them in the butcher dept. and they said they do them in the butcher made to order. They said it was $6.99lb which I did not think was very bad. I am actually cooking it this Sunday because we eat Thanksgiving at the base. I'll try to take some pic's and get them on here. I have always wanted to try a Turduckhen and finally decided to stop procrastinating! I get excited about my food and I wish it was Sunday already!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Richard Fl
    My next pre-made will be special ordered, possibly from here.

http://www.hebertsmeats.com/turduckens.asp
    For $15 TC was worth the price.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    I do several Herbert’s a year and I recommend following their cooking directions with the exception of uncover time. I remove cover for 30 additional minutes for just a little browner skin. Indirect on a raised grid and you will love it. No extra smoke was very good advice also.
    A serving suggestion is slice in ½ from head to tail then across for serving portions. Seems to make a better presentation on the plate.
    I agree with Little Chief on the TC turducken and no disrespect meant but there is a reason they are only $45. Wouldn’t ever do another one.
    Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i have always wondered...

when you stuff a turkey, one of the problems (forget bacteria, that's a red-herring) is that for the stuffing to hit 145-150, the turkey itself needs to cook longer than it would if you were simply cooking the turkey alone until it was done.

and so if a turducken is stuffed with even MORE ( with a chicken and duck, plus stuffing), doesn't that mean that the turkey might hit "done" temps in the breast far sooner than the duck and the chicken? sounds like you need to cook the turkey to death before the innermost stuffinf reaches temp.

does it really stay moist? or is it a gimmick cook?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Stike, that is a very good question and I can assure you that it is moist. I think it is the very oily/moist duck inside a boneless turkey is the difference. The dressing/stuffing also captures a lot of the duck and chicken fat as it renders out and is doing an internal basting while you cook. Other than a couple Tony C brand birds, I have never had one dry out.
    As far as a gimmick cook, it is somewhat but it is a family favorite around here. I think serving a slice of turducken when you see a layer of turkey, dressing, duck, dressing, chicken, dressing is kind of neat and for sure great tasting.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • its not that hard to make your own. ..and you can take some short cuts, like using boxed stuffing (you can enhance it with fresh broth and grilled sausage or oysters). ..use deboned chicken thighs for the center. . .and if you are unsure of your knife skills, you can always have your butcher debone the turkey and duck. ...
  • popsicle. .i agree with you, the couple i've done, the turkey stayed nice and moist despite the mass of the entire thing .... and i agree, with the duck fat and chicken fat inside, it bastes from the inside out ...i do go ahead and ice down the turkey breasts though to insure that they stay moist. ...i also think it helps to slo roast at around 300 degrees... .