Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey idea

hizzonerhizzoner Posts: 182
edited 10:35PM in EggHead Forum
I used Mad Max's turkey recipe last year with success. However, I am a fan of cajun food and want to try something along those lines this year. I also want more of a smoked flavor than the turkey I did last year.

I am thinking injecting the turkey with a mixture of creole seasoning and butter, rubbing the skin with a mix of cajun spices, cooling the breast like Max suggests and smoking over hickory. I may even make jambalaya and stuff the inside of the turkey with it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I don't know about smoking one like that, but what you are describing is what I do when I fry one, excluding the stuffing part. Regarding the stuffing, I may be a little concerned that the injection marinade would leak into it and make it oily.
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,907
    Check my post under turducken just below. A great cajun marinade, seasoning.
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,624
    Hickory is a pretty assertive smoke. Personally, I'd just use a touch.

My holiday smoke source is often the pecan shells left over from gathering the nut meats for other purposes. Seem to work pretty well.
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Sounds like a winner to me. Maybe not the stuffing as it may absorb too much smoke and try pecan wood.
  • hizzonerhizzoner Posts: 182
    Maybe I'll just use mesquite to spite you all! LOL