Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Turkey idea

hizzonerhizzoner Posts: 182
edited 1:59PM in EggHead Forum
I used Mad Max's turkey recipe last year with success. However, I am a fan of cajun food and want to try something along those lines this year. I also want more of a smoked flavor than the turkey I did last year.

I am thinking injecting the turkey with a mixture of creole seasoning and butter, rubbing the skin with a mix of cajun spices, cooling the breast like Max suggests and smoking over hickory. I may even make jambalaya and stuff the inside of the turkey with it.

• I don't know about smoking one like that, but what you are describing is what I do when I fry one, excluding the stuffing part. Regarding the stuffing, I may be a little concerned that the injection marinade would leak into it and make it oily.
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,939
    Check my post under turducken just below. A great cajun marinade, seasoning.
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,700
    Hickory is a pretty assertive smoke. Personally, I'd just use a touch.

My holiday smoke source is often the pecan shells left over from gathering the nut meats for other purposes. Seem to work pretty well.
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Sounds like a winner to me. Maybe not the stuffing as it may absorb too much smoke and try pecan wood.
  • hizzonerhizzoner Posts: 182
    Maybe I'll just use mesquite to spite you all! LOL