Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skrit steak info needed

BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When we got skrit steak at Baja Fresh the steak was thinly sliced and trimed. I was at Restaurant Depo today and the package of skrit steak was square and weighed 13 Lbs. Can someone help me with info on how I would cut this up. Thanks. Good luck to all.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    did you open the package, i dont know much about skirt steak except that they are only a couple pounds each
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Hello!

No expert here, but the 1st time I brought Skirt Steak
    it was folded to make it look like 1 piece of meat.
    I found that out when I was flipping it over on the grill! :ermm:
    A 13# piece, I would cut with the grain into smaller
    chunks before grilling and then across the grain for serving.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    all the skirt steak i have bought have been as described above. no more than a couple pounds, if that and folded in half. make sure you trim the silver skin as it's a b***h if you don't.
  • Tom,

I have had them untrimmed before and it isn't fun. Probably 50% scrap. They are encased in two really tough membranes which have fat abd connective tissue attached. As was said before a 2 pound steak would be unusually big so you probably have a bunch in there.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I bought skirt steak two weeks ago that was one piece of meat triple layered in the package.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • BajaTom
    I did not open the package.
  • BajaTom
    Thanks for the info and advice.
  •  
    Hey Tom

Skirt steaks are part of the diaphragm of the critter and are long strips of beef with a lot of grain to them. The diaphragm is a heavily used muscle and can be tough if not cooked properly. Think of it like calamari, either grill over a hot fire quickly or braise it with moist heat slowly. I like beef to be rare to medium rare so I always go for the quick grill method. My egg is a medium so I just cut the skirt steaks to fit, often in thirds. Trim any blue skin and membrane and as much fat as you want to. Some of the fat will run clear through the steak and is difficult to trim effectively so I leave some for flavor. The course grain of the skirt steak and the tendency to be tough lends it perfectly for marinating. I sometimes just use a bit of teriyaki sauce but more elaborate marinades are great. The texture of the skirt steak allows it to soak up marinades quickly so short marinating times are often sufficient, 15-30 minutes. I like to grill my skirt steaks over a fairly hot grill around 500º and depending on the thickness of the skirt steak between 2 to 4 minutes per side. I test them with a quick read thermometer just like any other steak and cook to similar temperatures. Let your skirt steaks rest for a few minutes after removing from the grill and slice diagonally across the grain. By diagonally I mean to hold your knife at an angle as you slice across the grain so you get a slice that is actually thicker then the original steak, laying the blade of your knife back as you slice. The thickness of the slices determined by how tender the steak is. This has given me the most tender slices. The beauty of skirt steaks is that everything about them can be done quickly and they have great flavor if cooked properly. Flank steaks well worth the try and are very similar, I cook them the same way for all the same reasons. :)

Blair

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Baja: What you saw at Restaurant Depot contained several skirt steaks...probably 7 or 8 in one package. Typically skirt steaks are small and thin. Make sure you cut against the grain slightly after the cook.
    (And sorry, I started this post quite some time ago, so if this is now a duplicate, my apologies.)
  • Did not use the Egg this time but these came out good!

Picture037.jpg

Picture051-1.jpg

Picture057-1.jpg

Picture063.jpg
  • Perfect compliment to skirt steak is a nice chimichurri sauce. It's basically oil, garlic and chopped herbs. Sometimes they add a little heat too, which makes for a nice surprise.