Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Now I understand - unbelieveable!!

howmeisterghowmeisterg Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First cook tonight on my new XL. I decided to keep it simple with a spatchcock chicken.

Winds were going at 25mph with 35mph gusts, but I was so looking forward to this cook, so I did not let the wind stop me!

Invested in a mapp torch, so I used it to light in 3 spots with BGE lump filled up to the top of the firebox/bottom of fire-ring. Perhpas I had the torch too close to the lump because many sparks were flying out.

I could not believe that my dome temp was up to 350 in 8 minutes. The thermo was calibrated so I knew the temp was the temp!

While I wait for Tom to finish designing and manufacturing the XL rig, I bought some stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts to get the grid 4" off the top of the fire ring since I was cooking direct.

The BGE maintained 350 degrees perfectly throughout the cook despite the wind - awesome.

The chicken cooked in about 70 minutes and was the juciest, most flavorful chicken I have ever had. The smoke flavor from the lump was delightful - took the kids by surprise since they have never had chicken made this way before. My oldest loved it, my 2 youngest used ketchup.

One question - when I sliced into the breast, the outside 1/4" had a pinkish color, while the rest of the meat was white - was this a smoke ring from the lump?

Thanks all for all your advice. Looks like ribs are going to be the next frontier this weekend.

The raw bird:

IMG_0102_edited-1.jpg

The cooked bird:

IMG_0110.jpg

The sliced bird(see how juicy?):

IMG_0112_edited-1.jpg

-Howard

Comments