Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Iron Grate

Zyme
Zyme Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
I'll be contacting the mother ship about a 3 inch crack that's developed in the iron grate of my large. I know it's not a big deal and that it works fine as-is. I'd like to get a replacement ordered just in case it eventually gives way altogether.

What I was wondering was, how might this have happened? Too hot? Too much hardwood? I tend to fill my firebox up to the joint with the upper ring. I also sometimes put smoking chunks at different depths, even 1-2 at the bottom. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Did you ever set the cold grate on a hot fire, the temperature shock can do this.
  • first let's make sure we are talking about the same thing

http://www.biggreenegg.com/components.html

the grate is what the lump sits on and the grid is what the food sits on .. cast iron grid is an optional purchase..

if it is the grate.. they do crack over time you did nothing wrong .. mine has been cracked for years.

if it is the cast iron grid.. they crack do to expansion stress and it is nothing to worry about most of them crack at some point and continue to function

having a back up grate is not a bad idea but i would not expect yours to be useless any time soon

bill
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    When you say grate we assume you mean the small cast iron grate located at the bottom of the firebox to which the answer is "stuff happens" and that's not unusual. OTOH if you actually meant a cast iron grill that your food cooks on then those crack because of the design whereby the center gets hotter than the outer circle thus causing stress.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    great minds huh? - except you type faster! :laugh:
  • Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    Hi guys,
    thanks for the quick responses--yes I did mean the grate that sits at the very bottom. My CI grill is doing fine.
    I'm quite sure I never subjected it to any heat shock. Must of just 'happened' I guess. OK--thanks for the sanity check. I'll get the spare but won't stress about it. Thanks!
  • yep .. and i will be crediting you with the double nut on friday nights "check your bands and bolts before thanksgiving post.".
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Normal, expect them to break about every three years. Covered under warranty, plus shipping.
  • RRP
    "plus shipping" may not apply with every dealer. My dealer for instance considers those to be a routine replacement item and stocks them a dozen at a time. Nice service by walking in and getting a replacement on the spot - no hassle, no cost! They do the same thing with fire boxes - guess that's why I rated my dealer's service as excellent in that recent poll!
  • PhilsGrill
    I just call the mothership and they ship it to me. Only $10.
  • RRP
    Only $10. :S

??? guess I didn't make myself very clear.
    My dealer says/demonstrates to his customers that those are warranty items so he stocks them and when you walk in with a cracked one then you walk out with a replacement. FREE as it should be...no $10 involved!
  • PhilsGrill
    The mothership IS my dealer. Not worth the $10 to go get it. :whistle: