Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Beef

Options
carz
carz Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 8 lb Prime New York Srtip Steak. It is really a roast. Are there any suggestions to make this a perfect meal on my egg? I really don't want to ruin it.
Thanks

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You can cook it as a roast, slow n indirect or cut it into steaks and give'em the heat. I would think about the company you will be sharing it with and how they like their meat cooked. If they are all over the board then steaks may be the way to go. Either way, as long as you don't overcook it, you won't ruin it. ;)
  • N.B. DeFoe
    Options
    If you cook it whole be sure to let it set on our kitchen counter at least an hour and get as close to room temperature as possible. Doing so will allow for even cooking through and through.

Use a good thermometer and pull the meat off at 125 internal temp. You can't screw it up...other than that I would cut it up in to prime steak.
  • carz
    carz Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you for your help. I think I want to cook it as a roast.
  • evenwhenitsraining
    Options
    I agree with you and others on this post, I would cook it as a roast. Like the other guys said, let it rest on the counter top for a good hour before grilling (I like to rub it with EVOO, S&P at this time) and pull it at 125 internal temp, cover with foil and rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Do not skip the resting period. I recommend serving with red skin on potatoes whipped with heavy cream, s&p, and roasted garlic. Yum.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    resting it on the counter will not help you with internal temp...take the temp and the meat will still be cold on the inside...the only thing you will be doing is warming up the outside

I say slow roast then do a reverse sear....