Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini or a small

Options
smokesignal
smokesignal Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok: guys I am hooked on the egg I have had a large egg for four weeks and I love it! I am going to buy a mini or a small to go with the large, which one should I buy I will only be cooking on it for my wife and myself. If we are cooking for more than two then I will use the large.[p]Thanks Larry

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Smoke Signal,
    If you want to take it camping, you might want the mini. Or if you wanted some real super steak searing, you might want the mini. (See Trex's post with photos below.) However, if you want something to cook in along with the large, I'd get the small. With the small you can do pizzas, tomato pies, stuff like that as a side dish while doing the meat on the large. The small is actually fairly portable as long as you don't want to backpack it anywhere. You can do 2 butts in a small if you are creative. I think the mini is more special purpose and that you would find the small more versatile. FWIW....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    Smoke Signal,
    Why not get both. Just admit it. This is an addiction. Sooner or later you will have both anyway. Just do it now and relax. time for a beer and to contemplate the future with all your optins fulfilled.....

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Smoke Signal, both are fairly portable. Mini is 30 lbs, small is 70 lbs, but the cooking space is much more on the small ; 13 inch diameter vs. 9 inch. Draw out a circle, you can see the size difference. I have a couple larges, a small and a mini. I use the small 90% of the time, a GREAT cooker. The small and large make a great combo, cook sides or a meal for two or four on the small, do your brisket or big turkey on the large. If you think the large is incredibly miserly on charcoal, wait til you try the smaller cookers !! I would go small vs. mini...my .02 cents

• Smoke Signal, the tnw nails it exactly (I favor the small)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Smoke Signal, hands down - I recommend a small...though I have a large, a medium and a small the real workhorse for the two of us (though 4 can easily be served) is our small! Whether it be burgers at 400 or searing steaks at 800 Mr Small is perfect. OTOH now that I am retiring I'll probably buy a mini to take on road trips - note I called them "road trips"? as I have never understood why retirees call time spent away from their home base as "vacation"...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tenntom
    Options
    Smoke Signal,
    WE have a large and a mini- it travels great...but I agree with the last 2, why not get them all. I'm going to get a Xlge,and a medium...Great cooking to all..

• smokesignal
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great info small it will be.[p]Larry

• kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    RRP,
    I just bought a small to add to my large and would love any tips on how to utilize it the best way possible. We are a family of 6 so my main reason for getting it was to do veggies, potatoes, appetizers, etc. I also bought the accesaries (2nd fire ring and grid, ceramic dish, broiling pan, pizza stone). I am also suprised that I have a hard time getting to or maintaining high temps on the small. I haven't calibrated my thermometer yet so that could be part of it. I noticed the fire box is slightly to big for the egg and it doesn't sit all the way down on the bottom of the egg. Could that mess up the pull of air? That's a lot of ? sorry!