Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Auber Temperature Controller

Options
crmilt
crmilt Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When using the Auber Temperature Controller (or any temperature controller) how much do you open the daisy wheel at the top?

I plan to bring my temperature up to 250 (cooking temp for smoked ham) and then install the controller and fan.

I assume that since the recipe calls for 250 temperature (directions say stabilize egg at 250) that means at the dome and thus I should clip my Auber temperature probe by the dome thermometer. Does that sound correct?

Thanks

Chris
__________ Chris

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    When using a fan, you want as little opening on top as possible. The reason is if you have too much opening, air can pass through the fan when it isn't running and overshoot your temp. The idea is to make the fan force the air out. I open the small petals on the daisy about 1/16". -RP
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Chris:

1. Remove dome thermometer.

2. Insert probe into thermometer hole approx. same depth as thermometer.

3. Install fan.

4. Open daisy petals about 1/16".

5. Connect probe, fan cables and electric cable to controller.

6. Set controller to desired temperature.

7. Light coals in at least three places.

8. Install platesetter and any other devices (drip pan) you will be using during cook.

9. Come back in about half an hour and start cooking
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    Thanks to both of you. I have been cooking for about 1 1/2 hours now and I am getting 25 degree temperature swings. I set the controller at 275 as at that point my BGE dome temperature reads 250. The little controller is working but the dome temp gets to 250, drops down to 225 and then back up as the blower comes on. Daisy wheel has been fully open. I just now closed to slight crack.

What is odd is my BGE dome probe reads 250, my Auber probe reads 275 and my Maverick reads 205. All clipped on the dome probe holder.
    __________ Chris