Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken and Veg

Options
chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Decided to do a variation on 'The Chicken' using 1/2 breasts and not saucing and wrapping. I used Wondra and a bit of salt on the meat. Sweet potatoes and mushrooms in the drip pan.

Took about an hour for the breasts to reach 75C.

If I'd had them thawed this am I would have rubbed with baking powder and salt and left them all day before sprinkling in the Wondra - I think I would have got an even nicer skin that way.

An hour wasn't quite long enough for the sweet potato bits, but the mushrooms were perfect.

5170106935_caec6d8f69.jpg
DSCN2051 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

5170106909_9f1061c567.jpg
DSCN2049 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Looks yummee! Might wanna parboil the taters a bit next time til about half cooked.Helps em cook quicker but does not affect the taste or texture.Works for me. :)
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Hoss wrote:
    Looks yummee! Might wanna parboil the taters a bit next time til about half cooked.Helps em cook quicker but does not affect the taste or texture.Works for me. :)

Good idea. I did find even when I did 'the chicken' that after 90 minutes the veg weren't really cooked.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks crispy! Nice meal!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    The chicken looks nice and crispy...will definitely give this a try sometime. Wonder if an overnight soak in buttermilk would enhance the skin (not that it really needs anything - it looks great)! ;)
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Actually skin looked better than it was. It wasn't as crispy as it appears. That's why I'm thinking the baking powder step. But perhaps buttermilk would have the same effect?
  • Hoss
    Options
    :woohoo: BUTTERMILK!!! :woohoo: I LOVE IT!!! ;)
  • Hoss
    Options
    What is the benefit of baking soda over cornstarch?Just wondering what the difference is ,if any.I hear of a lotta fried chicken recipes that call for soaking in buttermilk overnite.It would be interesting to see if it made a difference.Is Wondra like Bisquick???
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Actually baking powder. Someone here I believe linked to an article about using baking powder to make the skin crispy.

Here is a link to the article.

I suspect something about changing the pH of the skin surface causes it to break down in such a way that it can become more crisp on cooking.

Wondra is flour that has been in some way altered (like parboiled rice I suspect) so that it blends in to sauces without clumping. I find it very useful in place of regular flour for a variety of purposes. In Canada a similar product is called Robin Hood 'Best for Blending' flour.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Thanks! I knew you would know. :) You put out some FANTASTIC cooks! :)
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    I don't know why it works, but I think it has a tenderizing effect. I don't fry chicken often, but when I do I always soak in buttermilk (preferrably overnight). I've also soaked brisket in buttermilk - there's just something about it...maybe a ph balance/breakdown. My daddy thought it a waste of good buttermilk - he was a bit partial to buttermilk and cornbread. :)
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Why thank you Hoss - but I'm only just getting started!
  • Hoss
    Options
    Me and your Dad would get along JUST FINE.I'd just as soon have a GLASS of buttermilk(Bulgaran) and Cornbread as cake and Ice Cream!!! :woohoo: :)
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Actually baking powder. Someone here I believe linked to an article about using baking powder to make the skin crispy.

Here is a link to the article.

I suspect something about changing the pH of the skin surface causes it to break down in such a way that it can become more crisp on cooking.

Wondra is flour that has been in some way altered (like parboiled rice I suspect) so that it blends in to sauces without clumping. I find it very useful in place of regular flour for a variety of purposes. In Canada a similar product is called Robin Hood 'Best for Blending' flour.