Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey - 1st turkey cook need guidance

Egghead Willie
Egghead Willie Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I'm good with recipe and time. But, how do I set the egg up. I think I want to invert the plate setter (legs up) then grid, then tin pan with turkey on rack. Drippings will go into pan? Is this correct?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Here's how Mad Max does it. A VERY popular method around here!

mmtimage005.jpg

For the rest, go here...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Problem you will run up against with the grid on the platesetter is the amount of overhead space you will have for the turkey will be limited. Best to use the setup illustrated by Carolina Q above.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I concur that putting it up on the grid can cause overhead space issues with a larger bird. You don't want the bird too close to the dome temp probe. However, use something for spacers between the pan and the plate setter. Almost anything can work. I have several metal nuts (as in nuts and bolts) to use as spacers.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Thanks all. And for the reminder to put spacers in.