Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best place to sell/trade an XL??

wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a good friend that traded his Large Egg for an XL about six months ago and has figured out that he didn't make the right choice. He is wanting to sell or trade his XL and get a Large and a small. Where is the best place to list it and how much should he ask? Includes table, plate setter,pizza stone and cast iron grate. He is in Louisville, KY.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    here and craigslist
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    As a general question on this issue, do dealers transfer warranty on trade-ins? For instance, if this guy traded in the XL to a dealer, when the dealer sells the XL to someone else, does the new owner get a warranty...since it went through a dealer?

That thought just went through my mind when addressing the question posed. I wouldn't buy a second hand XL unless the deal was truly outstanding. If a dealer can warrant trade-ins, the guy's best option might be trading with a dealer.

Oh, and tell him to get a Large and a Medium instead of a Large and a Small. B)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I would guess that used eggs sold through dealers are indeed warrantied. Demo's certainly are.
  • yes, depending on how "popular" Craigslist is in your area, I'd say that's the best bet. Or, there's always E-Bay, or even local newspaper classifieds. I remember growing up in WV there was a small publication of classifieds, so your town might have something similar (if I remember correctly, I believe it looked similar to a newspaper, but instead of having news, it was all classifieds. I can't quite remember the name of it - perhaps it was just called "Classifieds"). ;)

It's funny though, being out in the Bay Area for over 10 yrs, I always thought Craigslist was just normal & common - it's so common out here (the "Craig" from Craigslist lives in San Fran & started it here) that EVERYBODY uses it.

I've used it to find apartments, my car, tools, home appliances & furnitue - even my girlfriend!! heh...

but I've realized that there are still some towns where Craigslist hasn't really caught on yet, and instead of having several THOUSAND postings per day in the "For Sale" section, they might have 1 or 2 per week!!

Personally, I don't think I could live w/out Craigslist! heh
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Regarding placing that ad in Craigslist:

People will drive a ways to get a used Egg at any reasonable discount from the new price. So your friend can post it in nearby Craigslist markets a couple hours away, as well as the Louisville listing. You have to be aware of the "multiple postings" limit within a given time frame, and either wait a while between these different postings, or else make sure each ad is substantially different.

Once you decide on a price, don't be in a hurry to reduce it. Somebody here has a web page with info on the proper valuation of a used Egg, but I'll be darned if I can remember where to find that.

Steve
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    It's Bubba Tim. There's a link toward the end of the marathon Big Non-Green Egg thread from yesterday.
  • I live in Frankfort and have 2 larges and I would consider trading one of my larges for an xl.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    My first suggestion would be to contact the dealer he uses and see about a "trade in" many dealers do that and everyone ends up with a warranty...not to mention it could cut out a lot of the hassle of selling..