Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Breast of Lamb

BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am on a kick about lamb, but it is so good and the cooks have been very different!

I took the leftover stuffing from the chicken legs and stuffed it into a breast of lamb (bone in brisket).

07-11-10LambBreast1.jpg

I coated it with Dizzy Dust -- just like the legs.

07-11-10LambBreast2.jpg

I cooked it indirect, at between 300-350 with mulberry wood for flavor (a lot like cherry to me). Here it is sliced.

07-11-10LambBreast4.jpg

I served it with baked, acorn squash that I seasoned with butter and DP, Pineapple Head rub and another side of sauteed onions, Brussels sprouts and fennel.

07-11-10LambBreast5.jpg

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Bob very nice, I got two legs of lamb & would really like your opinion on how should I cook them TKS
  • BobS
    Beli,

Leg of lamb is one cut I have never fixed! I love it, but Susan does not, so I generally fix small cuts, so I can fix something else for her.

I think that the classical Greek way to fix it is to rub with lemon juice and then make small cuts for pieces of garlic and rosemary.

I would cook it direct, on a raised grate until it was done as you like it. I prefer medium rare, but I have had Greek friends cook it lo-n-slo, until it was well done and served it with Pita bread.

Both are wonderful.

I am sure you will get some other ideas.

One other thought -- it should not be that much different than fixing cabrito and would probably be good with adobo too.

Good luck.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Good point Bob TKS
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I love it roasted to med rare...lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic and onions are all you really need for flavor.

Cherry wood is always great with lamb

My own opinion is don't overcook. I personally don't care for lamb taken past medium unless it is braised and in a stew or sauce...
  • Bob, you are really making me hungry for lamb. Nice call on stuffing it. It looks delicious.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • BobS
    crghc98 wrote:
    I love it roasted to med rare...lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic and onions are all you really need for flavor.

Cherry wood is always great with lamb

My own opinion is don't overcook. I personally don't care for lamb taken past medium unless it is braised and in a stew or sauce...

Chris,

I agree, but this went well past med rare, because it was the brisket. It was relatively slow cooked and it was very juicy. I would have gone slower, but did not have time.
  • BobS
    Florida Grillin Girl wrote:
    Bob, you are really making me hungry for lamb. Nice call on stuffing it. It looks delicious.

Thanks Faith!

This really hit the spot. I am going to do it again, with a veal breast.