Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Stuffed Chicken Legs

BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a wild hair today and decided that I would debone some chicken legs and stuff them with a mixture of ground lamb.

I started out mixing the lamb, with spinach, chopped pistachios, onions, and ricotta cheese and seasoned it all with DP, Dizzy Dust.

06-11-10StuffedChickenlegs1.jpg

The deboned legs created a natural pocket that I was able to stuff and I ended up with 14 legs that weighed just shy of 6 ounces each. I coated the outside with Dizzy Dust too.

06-11-10StuffedChickenLegs2.jpg

I roasted some new potatoes and cooked the legs, direct, on a raised grate, at 325-350, with cherry and pecan for smoke.

06-11-10StuffedChickenLegs3.jpg

06-11-10StuffedChickenLegs4.jpg

I served the chicken and potatoes with some baked, butternut squash. PDG, if I do say so myself.

06-11-10StuffedChickenLegs5.jpg

Comments

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Do I need to poke the potatoes before baking ?

Thanks.

Gary
  • BobS
    I always poke the big potatoes, when I bake/roast them (including sweet taters), but have never had a problem with the small ones.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    First, I've not thought of deboning a chick leg. Second, not a big fan of lamb, unless disguised. Pretty sure that your cook did not suck and I would love it!!
    Looks great Bob!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BobS
    cookn biker wrote:
    First, I've not thought of deboning a chick leg. Second, not a big fan of lamb, unless disguised. Pretty sure that your cook did not suck and I would love it!!
    Looks great Bob!!

They were pretty tasty and with all the goodies in the lamb, it was pretty mild.

The legs are easy to debone if you have some sharp knives.

I cut around the joint on the large end of the leg and pulled the meat back so the bone was exposed. I used a chefs knife to cut off the joint. Then I went to the other end, cut through the skin and scraped the meat down off the bone. It leaves a little donut of meat that is easy to stuff.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Great cook! Lamb & chicken, interesting, I am sure it was delicious. I too always poke my taters. Had an accident in the oven where one exploded, right before the Fiance's daughter & new boyfriend were coming for dinner. Seriously learned my lesson, what a mess.
  • cookn biker
    Tell you tater story!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Yup, I even got to here this one happen. So you definitely want to poke'em.

Blownspud.jpg

100% of that tater in the back blew all over the grate.
  • cookn biker
    Nice n tell Adam!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Bob, I might have to steal your idea about stuffed chicken legs. ;) I fix a Vietnamese stuffed chicken wing with pork. They are a bit of a pain to make. I wonder if the stuffed legs would be less frustrating to prepare.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    Adam, you just reminded me of a horrifying episode, I was so shocked I didn't have the presence of mind to take a pix that would have been priceless, dayum :angry: here it goes ...

Recently I was cooking 6x 4-lb butts and decided to add few small taters when butts were almost ready. When I opened the dome to check the butts later (forgot all about the taters) I was horrified to see the butts covered with white maggots, that sickening feeling was indescribable :blush:

edit: your splatter was lumpy, mine looked like they came out of a ricer, about half inch long, practically all pieces were uniform!

Gary
    canuckland
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Mmmmm Now ya gone and make me learn some'en new! :laugh: Debone yard bird leg I have not tryed to do but I got a sharp knife and am not afraid to use it! :P A really unique meal and one I will have to remember. Very well done.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Now this is why I still hang out here once in a while.
  • BobS
    Thanks for the comments folks. I have some left over stuffing and am going to use it to stuff a lamb breast (think small, bone-in brisket) and cook later today.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I'm the kinda guy that would have loaded it all into a box and return it to where it came from. :evil:

Years ago I ran across some ice fisherman on a lake in Montana (Whitefish lake) I asked one of them, who appeared to be chewing(tobacco), and I asked him for a pinch. It turned out he was keeping his wax worms warm and alive in his lip. :pinch: Wax worms are basically maggots, I believe.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Very funny Adam. :lol:

Soooo did you take a pinch? :whistle:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great post Bob. Very inspiring. ;) Tim
  • BobS
    I got a suggestion to wrap them in bacon and that sounded pretty good for another cook.