Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An other dutch oven question

Options
PA Dutch Egger
PA Dutch Egger Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have decided to purchase an enamel dutch oven. I have a large egg and am wondering what size dutch oven to buy. I know Lodge is the oven of economical choice, but I saw a Members Mark 6.5 qt. at Sams Club for $39.98. Paperwork says it has a lifetime warrany. Looking for input from those who have experience with these things.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I use an 8 quart CIDO no enamel no feet and most of the time no lid in my large egg. I can tell you I can take a large chuck roast and sear it in my DO on the egg. Then go on with the cook. I also bake bread in my DO in my egg...I feel you will love your CIDO. ;) Tim
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    That is a good size to start. You can always buy a 7 or 9qt if you enjoy using the DO. I have a 5 and 7qt and will get a 9 when I find a deal on one. The soups and stews are great! And the leftovers! ;) :ohmy:
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Can't speak to the brand, but enameled CI is the way to go. Read the labels carefully; less expensive enameled CI is often made in China (if you care) and bright colored pigments can be problematic (lead content, I mean). With US/Western made pots, you can be sure your pigments are lead-free.
  • nlsteve
    Options
    I like the cast iron "non-enamelled" pots for a lot of uses, although I have some enamelled Le Creuset pots for indoor use.

Check amazon.com for the "Lodge Logic" brand. If you bite the bullet and join their "amazon prime" deal, you can get free shipping on stuff for yourself and other people.

Steve