Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -BBQ in Ponte Vedra/Jacksonville, FL

Options
Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Heading down to Ponte Vedra next weekend for some business, but do have a bit of down time. Curious if any locals, or non-locals for that matter, have any suggestions on BBQ joints in the area? Also any BBQ supply stores?

Staying at Sawgrass, but willing to travel a bit.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Options
    While Sawgrass is really nice one thing that disappoints me about ponte vedra is the lack of decent dining options, threre are a lot of national chains with average quality food, there is a Ruth's Chris near Sawgrass also you may want to look towards St Augustine, it is not that far. I like Columbia which is a somewhat upscale Cuban restuarant and there are a couple of places on the beach side of St Augistine, the Conch House near the lighthouse and SW Cowboy's which are both primarily fish houses but to be honest it has been a goog while since I have eaten at those two, don't even know if they are still open.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    We lived in Jacksonville for a number of years and ate at Woody's BBQ. It's a chain, casual dining at your table, not standing in line. The BBQ was pretty good.

There used to be a chain over there along the coast called Fat Boy's BBQ. It was pretty good too. Don't know if they have a place north of St. Augustine.

I would just ask the locals where they like to eat. That way you may learn of a new place that is above the rest.

Spring "Ponte Coopee" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I remember Woody's BBQ as well. They have an open pit and cut the meat right there when you order it. If you would like a local place with some personality, look up Clark's Fish Camp in Mandarin. It is not BBQ, but right on the water, just off the St. John's river.

As for BBQ stores, I have been in AA bottle in gas on the northside. It was about 5 years ago. They were an egg dealer and had a huge selection of sauces and rubs. At the time they also carried Wicked Good Comp blend.
  • Fornia
    Options
    Thanks all for the input!

tsbrady,
    I forgot to mention that this is actually my 3rd year in a row down there. My business is with the PGA Tour, and it of course makes sense for them to have it at Sawgrass, right at HQ. Wife and I are doing Ruth's Chris as we did two years ago, not cheap of course, but very good as a treat(without having an Egg of course!). I've noticed over this time that options are lacking...now super hyped on BBQ, figured I'd ask since I didn't recall anything in past. Might look up the Conch House! Looks good on website at least.

Spring Chicken,
    Will hit Woody's for sure! Might be chain, but better than anything here in eastern PA I'm sure. I'll be asking the bell staff at the hotel! Always a good tip there when travelin'!

Crimsongator,
    Clark's Fish Camp also has a great enticing website!
    Might look to AA Bottle&Gas for a 'local' sauce or rub.

Worse case... We'll head to Publix across the street, grab some goodies (maybe some FL Stone Crab claws???), 6 packs, vino... and we'll watch our Colts beat up on our 'hometown' Eagles....all from Jaguars Country???? Wow.... :silly:
  • Fornia
    Options
    We ended up at Woody's today for lunch..what a great stop.

We went with some sandwiches, my wife LOVED the Pulled Chicken and I had a very tasty Brisket sammy.

Funny this is...this was 'my thing' to check out while we're down here, but my wife enjoyed it more than I would've ever imagined. She said, "why haven't you done Pulled Chicken yet"? She actually mentioned hitting them up another time before we leave....I didn't disagree. They even have a drive-thru window!

Woody's is expanding it's locations across the US...they actually have one near Philadelphia (an hour from home).

Saw a cool sign in there today:
    "Most of my money has gone to Beer and BBQ, the rest I've wasted."

Thanks for the tip Spring Chicken!!! Much appreciated!