Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak lump sparking

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone found that Royal Oak lump is sparking more now then in the past? I have to close the bootom vent to prevent the sparking. Good luck to all.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You probably got a bag that was made in Argentina...I returned mine and refuse to buy the argentina stuff...it's worthless..
  • BajaTom
    Options
    How do you tell? Thanks for the info.
  • BajaTom
    Options
    How do you tell? Thanks for the info.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    look on the bag - it lists the country of origin - I won't use the foreign wood lump either
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    In addition to stating it on the bag, you can tell by the strip across the top that is stitched to seal the bag.

Black is Argentina, dark red is Paraguay, red (just about the same shade as the bag) is the USA stuff.
  • BajaTom
    Options
    Mine all say made in the USA. Thanks for the info.
  • BajaTom
    Options
    Mine all say the are made in the USA. Thanks for the info.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hey Tom

I have noticed some good sparking from fresh Royal Oak. I use a MAPP torch which will make anything spark if it is going to. I have wondered if it is related to the amount of dust in the lump (and the MAPP torch). Although I can get wicked sparking from the Mesquite lump I sometime use. HERE is a link to the post I did on it. It is harder and denser than Royal Oak (I think) and I do not get the impression that it is as dusty. It may spark for some other reason. It is a great lump for steaks.

I normally fill my medium egg to the top of the fire box and will get three or four cooks out of it for steaks, dogs, burgers and other quick cooks before I have to load it again. The times between loadings I get little or next to no sparking from the pre lite lump (Royal Oak) when I light it with the same MAPP torch.

I have a hunch there may be more than one factor that will cause lump to spark. I think the species of the tree, as in the case of the Mesquite is one factor and dust (in theory) in the case of the fresh Royal Oak might be another. As an after thought, I have been using a 20# bag of Frontier Charcoal and find it very similar to Royal Oak, I found it at an Ace Hardware store for a good price and have been very happy with it. It even sparks like the Royal Oak.

Maybe the Naked Whiz will chime in and educate us on the sparking habits of lump charcoal.

Blair

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    RO bags are blue here. Think they got cold?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have noticed [if you can call burning your hand, arm and shirt "noticing"] a lot of sparking since I switched to a MAPP torch, but I minimize it by having used lump on the top. It seems to be the new lump that sparks B)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Don't you just love it when you get a persistent spark that lands on the webbing between two of your fingers, down where they join the hand, and the darn thing feels like a oxy/acetylene torch headed for China!!! :blink: :laugh:

• Austin Egger
    Options
    It's been sparking a lot more for me too. It seems like the last 3 bags that I have bought have been doing it and the pieces are a lot smaller with a lot more dust in it. All bags are red made in the USA. I am thinking about trying something else. :(
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Hey Blair, yea, I learned real quick to wear my heavy leather gloves when lighting, but I love my MAPP torch.
    The BGE literature should read "you can be ready to cook in ten minutes if you light with a MAPP! :laugh: :lol: