Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef brisket

bees
bees Posts: 335
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never cooked a beef brisket and could use some help with a simple process, if there is such a thing.Some of the beef brisket I had in Texas was pretty good but I never tried on my first BGE.
Thanks much

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Set your egg up for an indirect cook. Get the egg stabalized at *250-275. If you like Texas brisket, use a simple rub of salt and extra pepper. Cook until the temp of that flat is around 195-200. Pull, let it rest and slice across the grain.
  • bees
    Can you review indirect- is that with the platesetter and the legs up? About how long before the internal temps arrive. ALso, if anybody has a better rub besides just S&P I'm all ears.
    Tks
  • I inject using Butchers Brisket injection. You can inject with beef broth if you want or no injection. I prefer Butcher's. Then I rub with mustard and put rub on it. I use Texas BBQ Rub-Original (google it--awesome rub for brisket or really anything). Put in fridge for 4 hours or so. I get the Egg stabilized at 225 grid. Put some hickory on and after 15 minutes, put brisket on. When it reaches 160-168, I sometimes foil if the brisket is small like a 5-6 pound flat, but if it is a packers cut (8 plus pounds) I don't foil. When the internal temp reaches about 188-190 I take off Egg, double wrap in foil and double wrap in towels and place in cooler for a few hours (the brisket will still cook when wrapped which is why I take it off at 188-190--it will end up about 5-8 degrees more). Then slice and eat. Comes out juicy and yummy.
  • Plate setter, legs up with dripping pan in it, put grid on top then brisket.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Oh, there are lots of rubs. you can use Lotta Bull red dirt, Dizzy Dust, and a host of others. You can use beef cubes with worcestershire saces and make a paste. Anything with a beefy flavor will work well. I just know my Texas buddies talk about a simple salt and pepper flavor being traditional and a favortie.
  • Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    go to the naked whiz web site...he as a great article on beef brisket...I have followed this on numerous occasions and have not gone wrong.
    Brisket is not easy so don't expect a lot from your first try. It will hit a temp and sit there so don't worry about cooking time. Just cook to 190 or so.
    good luck
    gp
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Learn about the search feature on the forum since there is brisket info published almost every day.

Also check out:

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • bees
    Where can I get the Butchers Brisket injection?
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I agree with using the search feature....and trust me..there is nothing "simple" about successfully cooking brisket..