Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

beef brisket

beesbees Posts: 335
edited 6:56PM in EggHead Forum
I have never cooked a beef brisket and could use some help with a simple process, if there is such a thing.Some of the beef brisket I had in Texas was pretty good but I never tried on my first BGE.
Thanks much
·

Comments

• CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,748
    Set your egg up for an indirect cook. Get the egg stabalized at *250-275. If you like Texas brisket, use a simple rub of salt and extra pepper. Cook until the temp of that flat is around 195-200. Pull, let it rest and slice across the grain.
    ·
  • beesbees Posts: 335
    Can you review indirect- is that with the platesetter and the legs up? About how long before the internal temps arrive. ALso, if anybody has a better rub besides just S&P I'm all ears.
    Tks
    ·
  • I inject using Butchers Brisket injection. You can inject with beef broth if you want or no injection. I prefer Butcher's. Then I rub with mustard and put rub on it. I use Texas BBQ Rub-Original (google it--awesome rub for brisket or really anything). Put in fridge for 4 hours or so. I get the Egg stabilized at 225 grid. Put some hickory on and after 15 minutes, put brisket on. When it reaches 160-168, I sometimes foil if the brisket is small like a 5-6 pound flat, but if it is a packers cut (8 plus pounds) I don't foil. When the internal temp reaches about 188-190 I take off Egg, double wrap in foil and double wrap in towels and place in cooler for a few hours (the brisket will still cook when wrapped which is why I take it off at 188-190--it will end up about 5-8 degrees more). Then slice and eat. Comes out juicy and yummy.
    ·
  • Plate setter, legs up with dripping pan in it, put grid on top then brisket.
    ·
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,748
    Oh, there are lots of rubs. you can use Lotta Bull red dirt, Dizzy Dust, and a host of others. You can use beef cubes with worcestershire saces and make a paste. Anything with a beefy flavor will work well. I just know my Texas buddies talk about a simple salt and pepper flavor being traditional and a favortie.
    ·
  • TennisbumTennisbum Posts: 228
    go to the naked whiz web site...he as a great article on beef brisket...I have followed this on numerous occasions and have not gone wrong.
    Brisket is not easy so don't expect a lot from your first try. It will hit a temp and sit there so don't worry about cooking time. Just cook to 190 or so.
    good luck
    gp
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,315
    Learn about the search feature on the forum since there is brisket info published almost every day.

Also check out:

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • beesbees Posts: 335
    Where can I get the Butchers Brisket injection?
    ·
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    I agree with using the search feature....and trust me..there is nothing "simple" about successfully cooking brisket..
    ·