Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great tip JSlot and Eggvis!!

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When the sell you an egg, they oughta throw the manual away and hand you three cards:[p]one is the warranty card.
two is the parts list and picture of the components
and three is one that says:[p]to achieve 350-375 every time, open the bottom wide and open just the daisy wheel on top.[p]Thanks JSlot!! That is a piece of info every new egger should be able to use.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    The manual can be used for a few good fires.[p]CWM

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Mark Backer, are they still putting the old green book in the Eggs ?? The Bill Wise book is much better, I thought it was going to be included in the new Eggs.....

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    tn slagamater,[p]It was in our large this summer. Who knows what's in them now...
  • Eggsellent
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Eggvis - I got 350 on the nose using JSlot's method this evening! Wow - that was so much easier!!!!!!!!!!! I kept the bottom vent wide open, then opened the daisy wheel dial 3/4 - almost full and hit it almost immediately. I let it sit for about 20 minutes to make sure it wouldn't fluctuate too much and it never moved! Towards the end of the cook it got to about 365 but I had cheese dripping down on the coal.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Mark Backer, somebody im Mexico... geee, they have had the new cookbook out for two years...you would think they would start putting it out given the poor instructions in the old green one....

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Glad it worked for you guys![p]Jim
  • Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    Options
    Mark Backer & Crew of BGE Forum,[p] You eggers/egglets truly are the best people I have yet to meet. I have never been a part of a group that really wants everyone to egg well and genuinely care for one another. Thanks to ALL for the great tips helping out the "new guy". I can't wait 'til tomorrow when I tackle that chicken again....Great job to all and let me know if I can ever be of help to you in some way. [p]Paul Schmutzok
    Greenville, SC

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Eggvis,
    That about sums it up!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]that's odd, because a fully open lower vent, with daisy wide open but on, gives me 400-450.[p]for me, half open daisy, and half open lower vent is my 'medium', or 350-375.[p]that's a big difference between yers and myne. odd. [p]sorta related, i always adjust the top and bottom vents, but i have a feeling you can get away with one or the other, probably optimally just the daisy. at least in the middle range of temps.[p]that is, some folks just kick open the lower vent, and adjust temps only with the daisy. mightn't work for lo and slo, and you don't 'adjust' much for super-sears, but say 300-500, i bet we could get by without bending over. (which for some of you guys may be a bonus, beer-belly-wise!)[p]
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I started out by adjusting both vents.[p]Then leaving the top off and only using the bottom vent (for 350 and above).[p]Recently I become a convert to MickeyT's rings.
    Leave the bottom vent open and use a ring to get the temp you want. Very similar to what you are doing.[p]Toy Man

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    Oh my God...you were cheese racing on the Egg?!!!![p]lol