Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sugar Questions

Options
Jolly Bill Barker
Jolly Bill Barker Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I have been learning and reading about rubs. The one thing that is confusing me is the use of different sugars in the same rub. So for all of you that know about this stuff here are my questions.

White sugar... why use it.

Brown sugar. Is light or dark better? If you cook it to dry it and then process it how do you do this? What makes brown sugar brown?

Turbinago sugar. What really is this stuff? Is it just raw sugar? Why does it take more heat?

How is cane sugar different then others.

Basically I am trying to learn all about the different sugars and their properties and pluses and minuses.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    sugar cane juice is proceesed to varying degrees ... the more brown the more molasses left in [or added back in according to some]
    turbindo is larger crystals
    some say that the turbindo/hawaiian types are less likely to burn but i have never experimented.. and do not know why
    light and dark brown are used for their flavor profiles.. one is not better than the other just how much 'brown' flavor you want.
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    So why use white and brown?
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Occasionally I might use brown sugar but for the most part I think most of us use Turbinado because it has a higher burn point.

Today I use Dizzy Pig almost all the time.

Saves time and work and his spices are fresh.

Can't ever recall using white
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Turbinado is the least processed. It is basically reconstituted dried cane juice spun in a centrifuge to remove impurities.

White sugar is fully processed. The molasses is removed from the turbinado/raw sugar.

Varying degrees of brown sugar have differing amounts of molasses added back in to white sugar. Darker browns have more molasses flavor.

None of them take any more heat or have a higher melting/burning point than any of the others.
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    None of them take any more heat or have a higher melting/burning point than any of the others.

Ah Ha this is one of the things I was questioning. Sugar melts at 320-367 degrees. So if we are cooking low and slow at 235 to 250 how in the world does the different sugars make a difference? It must be just for flavor.

I just know the impurities will make a difference in melting point.

OK now we are, "getn som wrr".
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    So how would you dry brown sugar and then process it in a food processor?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    It will. It will lower it.

Turbinado is less pure, and would burn at a lower temp. But lore says the opposite

in truth it is immaterial. Because even the less pure turbinado is still 99.9% sucrose. If one or the other burns at slower temp, as you mentioned, it wouldn't make a bit of difference in your rub.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante