Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Instant read

BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone using the BGE instant read thermometers? Thanks for any info. Good luck to all.

Comments

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    If it is the one that only LOOKs like a Thermapen, don't waste your money.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    It will give you the temp, but your hand will be well-done by then! Listen to RVH.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    To elaborate a bit - it is instant read and not instant results.

It begins reading the temp instantly, but takes several seconds longer than the thermapen to reach the actual final temp reading.
  • I use one and it does the job, but it is slow and if you are cooking semi hot 400+ then you better put on a glove and make sure the thermometer is being blocked by the meat or it won't read at all. I got mine for free but wouldn't buy one.
  • doubleA
    doubleA Posts: 20
    I have a CDN instant read thermometer... I use it all the time!! Reads fast and accurate. I use it for beer brewing and cooking. Cheap and accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Component-Design-DTQ450-ProAccurate-Thermometer/dp/B00064BCPM
  • Ahhhhaa, but I'll bet it is good for searing in the juices on a hamburger. :woohoo:
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Fidel wrote:
    To elaborate a bit - it is instant read and not instant results.

Now that is truly funny. I hadn't thought about it quite like that. :laugh:

My BGE thermo takes about 25 seconds to give a final reading, as opposed to the two-three seconds for the Thermapen.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Tom, I've been using one for years with great results, but it does take more effort. As everyone has said above, it does take much longer, but a quick pre-heat by holding the probe above the dome & you can cut the 20-25 second read down to 2-3 seconds

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=755578&catid=1
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Somehow I don't find this to be a $100 plus problem.

It's nice to have a Mercedes or a BMW, but I really don't need one to get across town on time.

The BGE Instant Read thermometer reads very quickly to within 4 or 5 degrees of the final temperature.....only to slow down considerably in order to record the last few degrees.

If it reads 135 within 5 seconds, I'll assume the tested meat to be 140. No big deal. Yank that puppy out of the meat and be done with it.

Five degrees is a hell of a lot closer than the "finger press" technique practiced by world class chefs everyhere.

It's nice to own the best, but very often, middle ground is good enough.

Sorry, I don't buy into the theory that a piece of meat cooked exactly to XXX degrees is superior to a piece of meat cooked to XXX degrees plus or minus 5 degrees.

My suggestion is to stick a BGE Instant Read into a piece of meat....record the temperature after 5 seconds.....and then leave the thermometer in the meat.

Record the temperature after 10 seconds...even as much as 15 seconds, if your fire doesn't equal Mt. Vesuvius.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    While I might agree with a few of your points on some level, by your logic you could also cook the same piece of meat on a $15 throw away aluminum grill and cheap briquettes, no? So why not save yourself $700 and forgo the BGE altogether?

And I would certainly argue that a 5 degree difference does make a of discernible difference in several cuts of meat - especially fish. A thin cut of fish can rise several degrees just while you're waiting for that final reading.

Those world class chefs may use that "finger press" technique - but through training and (to a much greater degree) experience, they know precisely what they are looking for in each thing they are cooking.

But to each his own.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I gotta stand with Fidel on this one...many of those "world class chefs" have been captured on tv using a thermapen..the touch method is certainly a learned art...we spend roughly $1000 every fest we attend...an $80 thermapen is certainly not a benz or beemer in the grand scheme of things when put into perspective..if your happy with your 30 second read..then just keep on keepin on..
  • Good points and I agree. I love my Thermapen. Well worth the cost.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Thanks for the feedback. The reason I asked for the feedback was the cost diffrencem between the two. Good luck to all.