Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs: Direct vs Indirect

johnl350
johnl350 Posts: 125
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Before I knew any better I used to cook ribs direct at 250 degrees for 4 hours... the last two hours wrapped in foil. Now since I have learned a lot more about the BGE (and gotten the platesetter, etc) I have been cooking them indirect but I cant make them as good as when I cooked them direct. Anyone else cook ribs direct? I feel like I should never cook them direct knowing what I know now, but dang I cooked my best ribs ever not knowing what i was doing :ermm: .

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    raised grid direct for me when i have the time to watch them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I've always been a low and slow indirect guy but in the last couple of months I've been cooking them direct at 350 dome. Had some mixed results but generally good ones. -RP
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The problem I have with doing ribs direct is that sometimes they get scorched. I have to take time basting and flipping them. If everything works right, they turn out both crisp and tender.

Indirect with a platesetter, they're never scorched, but they seem to take considerably longer, and I too often pull them before they are really done.

So usually I do a minimal indirect. I've found a shallow aluminum pan that covers 85% of the lower grill. I place that in between. Earlier I've used pie plates, or just some HD foil. The metal seems to re-radiate much of the heat from the coals, while providing a block of the scorching IR. Usually only requires one or two mistings towards the end to keep the surface from being too dry (I only have sauce on the side.)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have always done indirect and I am fairly new so I am still tinkering with the process. It sounds like you had a process that worked using the direct/foil method; so if you like them that way I say go back to it! No law that says a plate setter is a must.

If you want to perfect your method that includes indirect, maybe you just need some more tinkering. Have you tried a 3-1-1 method?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I've had good luck doing them direct. See Robust Ribs.

The trick seems to be to use a raised grate and a low, even fire. They end up crispier and not as "fall apart tender" but I like them that way.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • John-

I do my ribs with the rub only, indirect. After a few hours I pull them off and wrap them in foil. After a few more hours I take them out of the foil and go for another 45 minutes or so.

The last 20 minutes I take them off, I take out the platesetter, baste them, crank the heat some, and cook them direct.

My wife won't let me try them any other way. They're moist but with a good crispy bark.
  • GregC
    GregC Posts: 91
    I do indirect,

1. First I rub with olive oil and dry rub. The BGE will be at 250deg. (with apple wood Chunk for smoke) with plate sitter and a pan of apple juice, ribs go on a rack; 2hrs.

2. Remove and place in tin foil, making a tent, add about 2-3oz of apple juice and coat with honey, 1hr..

3. Remove from tin foil place direct on grate still indirect heat and slap the BBQ sauce for 30-45 minutes,

4. Remove and let sit under tin foil for 15 minutes.

Has been good so far. B)